Michael Keough focuses his practice on white-collar criminal defense matters, internal investigations, and complex civil litigation. He represents both major corporations and individual executives during internal investigations as well as during concurrent criminal and civil proceedings. His experience spans from investigations to interacting with government regulators to criminal trials and appeals. Michael frequently navigates issues that cross international borders, including matters with components in Greater China, the European Union, and Turkey. Michael's civil litigation experience focuses on clients in the financial services and energy industries, with a particular focus on representing public utilities.
Michael's practice spans both coasts of the United States. He is a member of the firm's San Francisco office, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Bar Association of San Francisco's Barristers Club, the active section of attorneys in their first ten years of practice. He was previously part of Steptoe's New York office, and continues to serve as an experienced advocate for clients in New York's federal and state courts.
Michael is also active in the firm's pro bono practice. He has briefed and argued multiple appeals before the state appellate courts in New York and Pennsylvania, and secured asylum for an LGBT client after a contested removal proceeding before the Immigration Court in New York. Before beginning his legal career, Michael served as a Teach For America corps member teaching middle school social studies in the Bronx, New York.
- New York
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2013, cum laude; Associate Editor, Fordham Law Review; Fordham Moot Court Board, National Team
- M.A., City University of New York, 2010, summa cum laude, Social Studies Education
- B.A., The George Washington University, 2008, magna cum laude, Political Science and History
- Representing chief financial officer in federal accounting fraud trial, regulatory proceedings, and numerous concurrent securities, class action, and derivative proceedings in state and federal court.
- Representing European manufacturers in multiple DOJ investigations.
- Representing large corporations during internal investigations of misconduct by high-ranking employees.
- Representing several public utilities in multiple matters regarding liability under California Public Utility Commission rules and tariffs.
- Representing a high-profile individual client in the successful defense of a suit under the Alien Tort Statute.
News & Publications
January 6, 2021
July 8, 2020
October 11, 2019
September 4, 2019
November 26, 2018
- Super Lawyers, Northern California, "Rising Star," Businees Litigation (2020)
- Board of Directors, Barristers Club, Bar Association of San Francisco