Nick Kimbrell advises clients on international regulatory compliance issues, focusing on export controls and economic sanctions. His experience includes advising on compliance matters and investigations involving the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), US sanctions regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and United Nations Security Council (UNSC) imposed sanctions.
Prior to joining Steptoe, Nick was a senior staffer at a leading human rights organization focused on civilian protection, democratization, and press freedom. His responsibilities included developing and implementing global campaigns and strategies focused on US foreign policy and the Middle East, and coordinating security for staff in high-risk environments. Additionally, prior to law school, he worked as a foreign correspondent covering politics, conflict, and national security issues in the Middle East.
Nick maintains an active pro bono practice, with a focus on human rights, accountability, and asylum matters.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2019, Executive Editor, Georgetown Journal of International Law; Certificate, Refugees and Humanitarian Emergencies
- M.A., University of Virginia, 2007
- B.A., University of Virginia, 2006, with High Distinction; Echols Scholar; Phi Beta Kappa
- "Human Rights, Forced Labor and the Supply Chain. Time to Review Your ICP," Export Compliance Manager webinar, October 21, 2020
International Law Advisory
September 18, 2020
- Fellow, Truman National Security Project