Patricia Palacios partners with clients to successfully manage high-stakes litigation, internal investigations, and regulatory matters in a number of industries including higher education, mining, railroad, automotive, and telecommunications. Patty is recognized as a "Rising Star" both by the National Law Journal and in business litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine since 2014.
Patty's broad commercial litigation experience spans both federal and state courts and arbitration panels. She represents companies involved in a wide range of commercial disputes, including breach of contract, business torts, alleged fraud, and whistleblower claims. Patty frequently represents companies in bet the company litigation involving consumer and securities class actions. She has also served as national coordinating counsel for companies facing serial litigation, managing multidisciplinary teams of lawyers and local counsel and crafting global strategies to resolve the matters in the most efficient and effective manner.
Patty's internal investigations and products liability matters frequently involve determining the primary cause of suspected design flaws or manufacturing defects and then counseling clients on implementing remedies and defending them in any related litigation. Much of her work involves investigations related to CPSC and NHTSA regulations. In addition, she has conducted internal investigations related to sexual harassment claims, counseling companies on employment policies and best practices to mitigate costly litigation.
In her regulatory practice, Patty counsels companies facing regulatory enforcement investigations and proceedings involving environmental permitting and consumer products. She has coordinated litigation, lobbying, public relations and regulatory teams, for clients involved in government facing litigation to achieve a successful, early resolution for her clients.
Patty is co-chair of Steptoe's Hiring Committee and serves as a member of the Diversity Committee. Prior to law school, she was a consultant and research analyst for a consulting and investment services firm specializing in electricity and natural gas.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Hon. T.S. Ellis, III, US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2006-2007
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2006, with highest honors, Order of the Coif, Senior Notes Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- B.A., Cornell University, 2001, Political Science
Areas of Work
- Represents Adtalem Global Education Inc. and DeVry University, Inc. in developing a global strategy for the resolution of numerous consumer class actions pending in five different jurisdictions, several mass actions pending in federal court, and more than 400 individual claims pending before JAMS.
- Represented Pebble Limited Partnership in successful efforts to challenge EPA's attempts to block preemptively Pebble's development of one of the world’s largest gold and copper deposits near Bristol Bay, AK. Pebble filed two lawsuits against the EPA, and these proceedings resulted in the district court judge issuing a preliminarily injunction to prevent EPA from continuing an ongoing EPA rulemaking seeking to veto development of the mine. The result pressured the government into favorably settling the suits and permitted Pebble to file permit applications under the Clean Water Act.
- Represented Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. and Mitsubishi Power Systems Americas in trial of its multibillion-dollar antitrust/unfair business practices action and related patent law claims against the General Electric Company for alleged fraud in the variable speed wind turbine generator industry in the United States. The cases, in Arkansas, California, and Texas, attracted international media attention. Case settled favorably after the district court issued factual findings in favor of Mitsubishi.
- Leads Steptoe team in designing and carrying out internal investigation for global manufacturer in the automotive sector relating to alleged violations of testing procedures and relevant standards.
- Represented Northern Dynasty Minerals in putative securities class lawsuit following a "short and distort" attack on NDM's stock by reputed short-seller Kerrisdale Capital Management.
- Represented Adtalem Global Education Inc. in putative securities class lawsuit following a series of government investigations concerning marketing practices.
- Provides product liability and litigation planning advice for major automotive sector suppliers.
- Leads internal regulatory compliance review for automotive sector supplier.
- Leads internal investigation regarding alleged workplace abuse.
"10,000 Legal Leaders: A Dialogue on the First 10 Years of LCLD," 2019 Leadership Summit at Harvard Law School, The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), June 24-25, 2019
Seventh Annual LCLD Fellows Alumni Leadership Symposium, June 22, 2018
Sixth Annual LCLD Fellows Alumni Leadership Symposium, June 1, 2017
"Diversity in Practice," Leadership Council on Legal Diversity 1L Scholars Summit, Philadelphia, PA, May 23, 2017
"Staying Connected: The LCLD Fellows Alumni," Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, San Diego, CA, March 2, 2017
News & Publications
July 14, 2020
April 17, 2020
March 3, 2020
November 8, 2019
July 25, 2019
July 1, 2019
April 19, 2019
June 12, 2018
April 23, 2018
May 22, 2017
- DCA Live, Emerging Women Leaders in Private Practice (2020)
- National Law Journal, Washington, DC, "Rising Star" (2019)
Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, "Rising Star," Business Litigation (2014-2020)
New York State Bar, "Empire State Council Honoree" (2015)
Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll (2014)
Jury Instructions Committee, The National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC)
Hispanic Bar Association
- Chair-Elect, Fellows Alumni Executive Council, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
Chair, Leadership Symposium, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity