Paul Hughes' practice focuses on privacy and data protection, with an emphasis on compliance and enforcement issues. Paul regularly advises large multinational companies on the implications for their group-wide privacy practices of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). He holds a Certificate in Data Protection Practice from the Law Society of Ireland.
EU data privacy is a fundamental right that is embedded in a regulatory framework with significant extraterritorial reach and is a potentially complex legal structure. Companies seeking to ensure conformity with EU data protection and privacy rules need incisive, practical advice that is supported by a strong understanding both of the GDPR’s overall effect and of local law requirements.
Paul is the principal legal adviser at Steptoe coordinating the activities of Securum, a European-wide network of privacy lawyers, founded in order to provide Steptoe clients with comprehensive support with respect to EU privacy matters, whether with regard to the GDPR’s overarching impact or more localized divergences in privacy regulation.
Paul works closely with Steptoe’s US-based Cybersecurity and Privacy & National Security Group and with its US and EU lawyers in the FCPA and Antitrust and Competition Groups, particularly with respect to investigations and in advising on the cross-border aspects of employee monitoring and whistle-blowing schemes.
In the area of competition law, Paul has been involved in defending and bringing competition law complaints before the Office of Fair Trading and Competition and Markets Authority, both with respect to anti-competitive agreements and allegations of abuse of dominance. He frequently advises on the competition law aspects of collaborative and co-operative joint ventures, agency, distribution, and licensing, and he has worked with specialist strategy consultants on technology licensing and distribution matters.
Paul has had a longstanding career in the academic community, having lectured and written on the fundamental right of dignity, on privacy and data protection issues and on the interelationship of privacy and copyright.
- Solicitor, England & Wales, 1981
- Solicitor, Ireland, 2016
- Law Society of Ireland, 2017, Certificate in Data Protection Practice
- Postgraduate Diploma, King's College, 2015, Distinction, UK, EU and US Copyright Law
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, 2011
- LL.M., University of Essex, 1994, Distinction, EU Law
- B.A., University of Oxford, 1978, Jurisprudence
Areas of Practice
- Currently advising a listed technology company both on competition law compliance and on a range of Article 102 TFEU issues.
- Has represented energy and utility companies on procurement and merger control matters and has advised on telecom-related competition law issues.
- Most notable recent successful merger clearances with the EU Commission and OFT were General Dynamics/Alvis and Bae/Alvis and G's Marketing/Norman Olverson.
- Advised on information exchanges in the food sector and represented supermarkets, food producers, and suppliers on grocery inquiry and cartel investigation issues.
- Recently provided training and competition law compliance programs for a national construction company, a US and UK based engineering company, and a number of regional food producers.
News & Publications
April 6, 2018
March 1, 2017
September 22, 2016
By: Paul Hughes
May 31, 2018
September 20, 2017
May 23, 2017