Tim Columbus’ practice focuses on government relations. He advises on legislative and administrative matters before the federal government, specifically on matters before the energy, commerce, environment, and revenue committees of the US Congress. In addition, Tim represents clients in the petroleum and convenience store industries.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1974
- B.A., Harvard University, 1971, cum laude
- Counsel to the Society of Independent Gasoline Marketers of America with respect to all federal legislative and administrative issues relating to the marketing of petroleum products.
- General counsel and legislative counsel to the National Association of Convenience Stores.
- Court-appointed custodian of Cumberland Farms, Inc.; Antitrust and Petroleum Marketing Practices Act (PMPA) counsel to Cumberland Farms in its acquisition of the Gulf marketing assets in the northeastern United States; and counsel to Cumberland Farms in its successful defense of litigation brought under the PMPA challenging its acquisition of the Gulf marketing assets.
- Antitrust counsel to Power Test Petroleum Corporation in its acquisition of the Getty marketing assets in the northeastern United States from Texaco, Inc.
- General and legislative counsel to the American Car Rental Association.
- Washington counsel for Total Petroleum, Inc., an integrated independent refiner and marketer of motor fuels and other petroleum products.
- Legislative counsel to the World Floor Covering Association.
- A member of the Clinton transition team, having line responsibility for the review of Treasury Department law enforcement agencies.
- Counsel to the Alliance for Capitol Access before the House of Representatives and Senate banking committees.
- Counsel for Petrojam Limited before the US Congress in its successful effort to amend the US tariff schedules to provide for duty-free treatment of its ethanol production.
"Perspectives on the RFS Point of Obligation," Renewable Fuels Association, February 21, 2017
News & Publications
November 12, 2018
September 1, 2017
November 2, 2016
By: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, Christopher Caron, John T. Collins, R. Timothy Columbus, Michael V. Dunn, Luis G. Fortuño, Jessica Frend, Chelsea Gold, Micah S. Green, Kate Jensen, N. Hunter Johnston, Douglas Kantor, Grace Kim, Lisa Mortier, Darryl Nirenberg, Allison Nyholm, Eva Rigamonti, Robert Rizzi, Richard Shilts, Scott A. Sinder, Amanda Pedvin Varma, Philip R. West, Lisa M. Zarlenga
October 20, 2016
October 11, 2016
September 27, 2016
June 24, 2016
February 12, 2016
- Tim has served as a Director of both private and publicly held corporations.