Dick Cunningham has been recognized for more than 40 years as one of America's leading international trade lawyers. His practice includes the handling of antidumping and countervailing duty cases for both petitioning US industries and respondent exporters and governments, as well as advising corporate and governmental clients in trade negotiations and other trade policy matters. Dick also litigated some of the most significant WTO dispute settlement cases.
Dick has helped numerous US and foreign companies develop and implement international trade strategies to overcome market access barriers, to use US and international trade laws to address competitiveness issues, to maximize the benefits of intellectual property rights and to obtain assistance (including relief from imports) in competing with international rivals.
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- J.D., The George Washington University, 1968, Order of the Coif; Editor, George Washington Law Review
- A.M., The George Washington University, 1966
- A.B., The George Washington University, 1964, with distinction and special honors; Phi Beta Kappa; Valedictorian
- Successful representations in WTO dispute resolution concerning “zeroing” and other antidumping issues, application of countervailing duties to privatized companies and subsidies provided by foreign governments.
- Participation, usually as lead counsel, in all of the major US steel sector import relief cases of the past 30 years, as well as more than 60 other antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings in the US and other countries.
- Prosecution and defense of Section 201 “escape clause” cases on products ranging from motorcycles to copper and steel.
- Advice to the Republic of Korea in a series of trade negotiations, most notably FTAs with the US and the EU.
- Advice to the Government of the United Kingdom in connection with trade negotiation and trade remedy issues relating to the impending UK departure from the EU.
"Trade Relationship Between the US and an Independent UK: What Are The Likely Problems?," British American Group of Lawyers & Accountants Conference, Birmingham, UK, June 6, 2018
"Korea-United States Import Relief Issues in the Donald Trump Era," Korean Chamber of Commerce and Industry in USA, Fort Lee, NJ, May 25, 2017
News & Publications
June 5, 2019
April 19, 2019
August 15, 2018
May 30, 2018
April 23, 2018
August 15, 2017
June 2, 2017
April 24, 2017
April 13, 2017
April 13, 2017
November 10, 2016
Speakers: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, Christopher Caron, David H. Coburn, John T. Collins, Richard O. Cunningham, Ambassador Susan G. Esserman, Luis G. Fortuño, Micah S. Green, N. Hunter Johnston, Douglas Kantor, Darryl Nirenberg, Allison Nyholm, Scott A. Sinder, Amanda Pedvin Varma
- Chambers Global, "Senior Statesman," International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy, US (2008-2017)
- Chambers USA, "Senior Statesman," International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy, Nationwide (2008-2016)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, International (2008-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, International Trade and Finance Law (2003-2019)
- Legal 500 Hall of Fame (2017)
- Legal 500 US, Leading Lawyer, Dispute Resolution: International Trade (2016-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: International Trade (2008-2015)
- Who's Who Legal for Trade & Customs (2018)
- Ethisphere's, Attorneys Who Matter for Trade/Export Compliance (2009-2010)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2007, 2008, 2010, 2015)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to The Best of the Best USA (2008, 2010)
- Section of International Law, American Bar Association
- Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association
- Section of Litigation, American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Standing Committee on Customs Law, Committee on International Litigation, Litigation Section, American Bar Association
- Chair, Cordell Hull Institute
- Executive Committee, Canada-United States Law Institute
- Advisory Board, Global Business Dialogue
- American Law Institute