Shawn Davisson focuses his practice primarily on white-collar criminal defense matters, government and internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, securities litigation and enforcement, and foreign corrupt practices (FCPA). He was recently named one of the country's top "Rising Stars" for white-collar practice by Law360.
Shawn defends corporations, corporate executives, public officials, and other individuals and entities in matters involving or brought by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and other government agencies and regulators. He also has extensive experience conducting internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients to examine allegations of criminal conduct, and assisting with parallel civil proceedings arising out of criminal investigations, including enforcement proceedings, multidistrict securities fraud litigation, congressional investigations, and related matters.
Shawn places importance on volunteer work and is actively involved in Steptoe's pro bono program. He regularly represents clients or assists organizations in matters involving Veteran’s claims and appeals, homelessness initiatives, habeas appeals, and other pro bono matters. He also serves periodically as a volunteer justice in various moot court competitions.
Finally, Shawn was appointed by the DC Bar's Board on Professional Responsibility and currently serves in a judicial capacity on the Board's Hearing Committees, which conduct hearings on formal charges of attorney misconduct, contested petitions for reinstatement to the Bar, and petitions for negotiated discipline.
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Hon. David L. Bunning, US District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 2006-2007
- J.D., Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 2006, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif; Judge Ernest Karam Award for Legal Writing; Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution; Co-Editor, Mayhew-Hite Report on Dispute Resolution and the Courts
- M.B.A., Sullivan University, 2004, summa cum laude; President's Cup Award (top of class)
- B.A., University of Kentucky, 2003, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Vandenbosch Award in Political Science
Areas of Work
- Representing global automobile manufacturer in investigation by Department of Justice.
- Assisted in representing and securing a rare Rule 29 acquittal of a businessman accused of bribing a public official in a 79-count indictment in federal court in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Assisted in representing and securing an acquittal on all felony fraud charges of a CEO of a medical device company in federal court in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Assisted in representing and securing a complete dismissal/acquittal for David Rainey, the highest ranking BP executive charged in connection with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, on charges of obstruction of Congress and false statements in federal court in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Assisted with internal investigation at major financial institution in response to government investigation of mortgage origination practices.
- Assisted in representing and securing a rare Rule 29 acquittal of Lauren Stevens on charges of obstruction and false statements in federal court in Maryland.
News & Publications
August 5, 2020
July 6, 2020
Chambers Blockchain Practice Guide
April 17, 2020
April 19, 2019
April 23, 2018
July 31, 2017
April 24, 2017
March 31, 2017
- Law360, "Rising Stars," White-Collar (2020)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, "Rising Star," Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2014-2020)
- American Bar Association