Simon Tilling advises clients on UK and EU environmental law, chemicals regulation and product standards, with a wealth of experience covering regulatory compliance and supply chain diligence, investigations, enforcement and criminal defense, regulatory appeals, tribunal hearings, and environmental civil claims.
With a joint honors degree in Chemistry and Law, Simon combines robust scientific analysis with persuasive advocacy to resolve complex and technical environmental issues. In particular, he is experienced in advising on chemicals regulation, such as REACH and biocides, the control of chemicals in the environment, and the life-cycle of products and wastes within the circular economy. Chambers quotes clients as saying "Simon is super – especially at chemicals regulation".
As a UK lawyer with many years of experience in EU chemicals and products regulations, Simon is particularly well placed to help clients navigate access to the newly independent market of Great Britain and to represent industry in its engagement with the UK regulators and institutions, and before the UK courts, tribunals and appeal bodies.
Clients entrust Simon with 'first-of-a-kind' cases, and he has acted in the first appeal under the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Scheme Regulations in Northern Island, the first 'enforcement undertaking' in Wales for pollution, the first 'special site' for land contamination in Scotland, and the first PFAS litigation in England. Simon has also counseled clients in international indemnity claims including regulator clean-up of nuclear materials in the USA, remediation of a biochemicals facility in Sweden, and a USD billion claim for global non-compliance litigated in the Courts of New York.
Chambers client references note Simon as someone who is "commercially sound and pragmatic, very effective at resolving cases" and "a very good technical lawyer and clear and conscientious. He is good at managing risk and expectation, and at keeping the client on the right side of the law."
The Legal 500 describes Simon as "thoughtful and insightful" with "really solid technical and commercial knowledge and insights in the environmental sector, excellent profile, very easy to work with and an increasing presence in the field". Who's Who Legal notes that Simon is lauded for his "methodical approach and ability to get the best out of his team" when handling all aspects of UK and EU environmental law and regulation.
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Solicitor, Scotland
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of the West of England
- BSc, University of Bristol, Joint Honors, Chemistry and Law
- Challenging decisions of the European Chemicals Agency before the Board of Appeal on behalf of consortia of chemicals manufacturers.
- Advising numerous chemicals, petrochemicals and manufacturing clients on the impacts of Brexit on access to the GB market and supply chain risk, including engagement with government and the UK regulators, revisions of contracting structures and business reorganizations.
- Advising on data rights, data access and data sharing disputes within EU REACH and now within UK REACH.
- Conducting regulatory appeals and tribunal proceedings in the UK courts and tribunals including a major public inquiry on environmental permitting and air quality in Wales, the first appeal under the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Scheme Regulations in Northern Ireland, and an appeal to the UK Secretary of State against the publication of commercially sensitive information on public registers in England.
- Representing a US headquartered global business in one of the first submissions to reach the English Environment Agency's Definition of Waste Service for a novel circular economy product from end-of-waste materials.
- Representing a European petrochemicals business on an investigation by the Dutch police into products supplied from the UK into the European market.
- Defending international electronics businesses from enforcement action and negotiating with the UK’s Office for Product Safety & Standards following non-compliance with the RoHS regime on the restriction of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
- Conducting judicial reviews against regulatory decisions of the UK’s environmental agencies.
- Advising on regulatory investigations and representing clients in prosecutions in the manufacturing, chemicals and petrochemicals, energy, waste and water sectors.
- Acting on international indemnity claims including regulator clean-up of nuclear materials in the USA; remediation of a biochemicals facility in Sweden; and a USD billion claim for global non-compliance litigated in the Courts of New York.
- Advising on a GBP multi-million product stewardship / liability claim for environmental damage caused by the release of PFAS from a product into the aquatic environment.
News & Publications
October 14, 2021
By: Simon Tilling
October 14, 2021
October 6, 2021
- Shortlisted, Legal 500 Lawyers of the Year Awards UK (2019, 2020)
- Chambers UK, Environment - South West (2016 - 2022)
- Legal 500 UK, Environment – South West (2015 – 2022)
- Who's Who Legal, Environment, Leading Individual – UK (2021)
- United Kingdom Environmental Law Association, Vice-Chair (2018-2021)