Timothy Work represents financial institutions and their officers in cross-border internal investigations and enforcement actions before the SEC and DOJ. Tim regularly participates in SEC enforcement and private securities litigation matters involving the Securities Act, Securities Exchange Act, Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The intense media coverage generated by some of these matters has required Tim, as part of Steptoe’s team, to provide advice in rapidly shifting situations, whether in preparing clients for testimony or interviews, interacting with prosecutors and Division of Enforcement attorneys, or carefully reacting to press reports that could affect clients’ interests.
Tim’s work on these matters is informed by his previous experience as a corporate and capital markets lawyer at an international law firm in Germany, where he advised clients on a variety of cross-border transactions. Tim also has extensive commercial litigation experience, focusing on private securities suits, follow-on civil matters related to enforcement actions, and litigation against state and federal government agencies. In both financial and non-financial matters where clients have been injured or threatened by private parties, Tim assists in building partnerships with law enforcement officials to investigate and prosecute criminal wrongdoing.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Hon. Carolyn Dineen King, US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2012-2013
- Hon. Paul S. Diamond, US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2011-2012
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2010, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Global Law Scholar, The Georgetown Law Journal
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 2010, with distinction, Securities & Financial Regulation
- M.S.F.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 2010, International Business & Finance
- B.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 2004, summa cum laude
Areas of Practice
Managed simultaneous cross-border internal investigations of a multinational financial services client, directing multi-lingual document review teams; liaising with client representatives and contractors; and conducting witness interviews in English and German.
Secured a preliminary injunction to halt extraordinary EPA action and was part of the Steptoe team that obtained a fair permitting process for the client’s natural resources project.
Successfully appealed dismissal of pro bono client’s claim of physical abuse by a prison guard.
Persuaded the US Department of Education to discharge pro bono client’s student loans after the school in question was found to have violated numerous state educational requirements.
- Moderator, "Coordination of Parallel Civil & Criminal Enforcement Proceedings," Federal Bar Association, April 26, 2018
News & Publications
April 26, 2018
February 23, 2018
International Law Advisory
February 16, 2017
By: Lucinda A. Low, Tom Best, Brittany Prelogar, Richard J. Battaglia, Brigida Benitez, Pablo M. Bentes, Matthew J. Herrington, Susan Munro, Richard K. Wagner, Evan T. Abrams, Brady Cassis, Peter Jeydel, John C. London, Jessica Piquet Megaw, Alexandra Melia, Stephanie W. Wang, Timothy A. Work, Bo Yue
Intern, US Securities and Exchange Commission
- German-American Lawyers' Association
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center