- Paul J. Ondrasik Jr.
+1 202 429 8088
- Gwendolyn Prothro Renigar
+1 202 429 6750
Steptoe’s ERISA Group has long been recognized as one of the best in the nation, and our ERISA litigators have for many years received top-tier rankings from Chambers USA and Legal 500. Described in Legal 500 as “the ‘go-to’ ERISA firm," we are well known for our ability to solve clients’ problems – whether in court, before a government agency, or as advisors – in all aspects of ERISA matters. The breadth of our experience in this area is evident in our diverse client base, which encompasses all segments of the employee benefit plan community, including plan fiduciaries, state retirement and welfare benefit systems, multiemployer plans, and third-party pension and welfare plan administrators and insurers, as well as corporate plan sponsors, financial institutions, banks, and plan services providers.
Clients benefit from the diverse strengths of our team, which includes highly skilled ERISA litigators, former high-level representatives from the US Department of the Treasury, US Department of Labor, and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), former Big Four consultants, and savvy policy advisors on fiduciary issues, retirement benefits, and health care reform. As noted by clients in Chambers USA and Legal 500, our lawyers are “highly sophisticated” and their deep technical and practical knowledge enables them to provide clients with “accurate predictions of what the courts and regulatory bodies might do in specific situations.”
Our experience dates back to the early years of ERISA, when we won landmark rulings in two Supreme Court cases addressing the scope of remedies available in ERISA actions – Massachusetts Mutual Life Ins. Co. v. Russell and Pilot Life Ins. Co. v. Dedeaux. We have successfully handled complex ERISA litigation matters, including numerous employer stock drop actions, for clients such as BP, American Express, Morgan Stanley, Honda America, Visteon, and Dynegy, among others.
- Chambers USA, Band 1, ERISA Litigation (Nationwide), 2005-2016
- Chambers USA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (DC), 2005-2016
- Chambers USA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Nationwide), 2010-2016
- Legal 500 US, Tier 1, Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation (Nationwide), 2007-2016
- Legal 500 US, Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, 2010-2016
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 65 Steptoe Attorneys
- Four Steptoe Partners Named to Inaugural Legal 500 Hall of Fame
- Law360 Covers Steptoe’s Win for BP in Long-Running ERISA Suit
- SHRM Quotes Steve Wheeless on Employers’ Rules for National General Strike
- Annual Labor Relations Conference
- "The DOL Process: Exemptions & Advisory Opinions," Practicing Law Institute
- "What Does the DOL Rule Mean for the Rest of the Business," SIFMA
- "Remedies: Appropriate Equitable Relief Under ERISA After Montanile," American Conference Institute