Scott Sinder represents trade associations and companies, as both a legislative advocate and a litigator, on a wide range of issues in state and federal trial and appellate courts, in state legislatures and Congress, and before regulatory agencies. He also serves as outside general counsel for several prominent trade associations and charities.
Current projects include legislative and regulatory work on a wide range of issues including tax reform and various financial services regulatory reform initiatives. He also represents clients in post-enactment regulatory work related to the implementation of the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act of 2010 and the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform & Consumer Protection Act and in the on-going re-evaluation of those laws before both Congress and the pertinent federal agencies.
An experienced commercial and public law litigator, Scott has represented clients in class action, antitrust, copyright, redistricting, and other complex civil litigation cases. His experience includes serving as lead counsel in a series of successful constitutional challenges the Council asserted against state “countersignature” laws.
Scott’s work also includes counseling clients on a wide range of regulatory compliance issues and providing general counseling services to trade associations and other tax exempt organizations.
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Hon. Zita L. Weinsheink, US District Court, District of Colorado, 1989-1990
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1988, with honors, Campbell Award, Moot Court champion
- University of Michigan Institute of Public Policy, 1987, Masters of Public Policy
- A.B., University of Michigan, 1985, with honors
Areas of Practice
- Lead counsel on a series of Constitutional challenges brought by The Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers against state insurance broker laws that discriminate against non-residents. He recently achieved a significant victory in this six year legal battle in which the Ninth Circuit declared Nevada’s countersignature laws unconstitutional.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a coalition of insurance agent trade associations in litigation against the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency over preemption determinations in the First, Fourth, and Sixth Circuits.
- Lead counsel for a coalition of insurance agent associations in IIAA v. Hawke, a case in which the DC Circuit overturned an Office of the Comptroller of the Currency opinion granting national banks the incidental power to sell crop insurance.
- Co-counsel for a coalition of insurance agent associations on the 1996 Supreme Court case Barnett Bank of Marion Co, N.A. v. Nelson.
- Co-counsel for the Florida House of Representatives on the 1993 Supreme Court redistricting case Wetherall v. DeGrandy.
"Overview of Key Provisions and Issues to Consider," American Land Title Association, February 21, 2018
"Insurance Coverage for Cyber Risks," CIAB, October 19, 2016
"DOL Fiduciary Rule: What it Means for NAIFA Members and Their Practices," NAIFA, April 13, 2016
News & Publications
November 28, 2018
June 1, 2018
May 30, 2018
May 3, 2018
April 26, 2018
By: Scott A. Sinder
November 8, 2018
Speakers: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, George Callas, John T. Collins, Luis G. Fortuño, Micah S. Green, Kate Jensen, N. Hunter Johnston, Darryl Nirenberg, Eva Rigamonti, Scott A. Sinder
Seminars & Events
January 31, 2017
The Dupont Circle Hotel
1500 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036
November 10, 2016
Speakers: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, Christopher Caron, David H. Coburn, John T. Collins, Richard O. Cunningham, Ambassador Susan G. Esserman, Luis G. Fortuño, Micah S. Green, N. Hunter Johnston, Douglas Kantor, Darryl Nirenberg, Allison Nyholm, Scott A. Sinder, Amanda Pedvin Varma
- Chambers USA, Government: Government Relations, Nationwide (2011-2018)
- Legal 500 US, Government: Government Relations (2016-2018)
- Author of the Legal Ease column of Leader’s Edge magazine, a cutting-edge, award-winning publication on the insurance industry
- General Counsel and Board Member, Foundation to Eradicate Duchenne (2002-present)
- General Counsel, Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers
- General Counsel, Commercial Real Estate Finance Council
- Deputy General Counsel for delegate selection and other senior roles, Kerry for President Campaign (2004)