Having worked closely with Congress and executive branch agencies of the US government for more than 30 years, as well as having a specific background and familiarity working with many of the agencies, including the Department of Energy and the Department of Treasury, Hunter Johnston is able to guide his clients through a wide range of government affairs issues, regulatory and legislative matters. He has extensive experience working with the US House of Representatives and the US Senate and has represented clients before Congress and the Executive Branch on matters in various industries, including energy, tax, telecommunications, appropriations, defense, transportation, and infrastructure. Hunter also retains substantive experience working in his native state of Louisiana, and he has a broad knowledge of Louisiana business and politics.
Hunter has extensive experience developing and financing greenfield energy projects, both domestically and internationally. Recently, he was a leader in the carbon capture coalition that was responsible for passage of the rewrite of the 45Q tax credit. He has also counseled clients regarding the wind production tax credit and other matters in the wind industry. He counsels clients in connection with the Department of Energy Loan Guarantee Program authorized in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and with the energy provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, as well as other energy tax credits and programs.
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1985
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1985
- B.A., Tulane University, 1982, Political Science
Energy Project Development
- Represented a client in connection with two advanced fossil energy projects in the Section 1703 Department of Energy Loan Guarantee Program.
- Represented a utility in connection with a nuclear energy project in the Section 1703 Department of Energy Loan Guarantee Program.
- Represented an awarded fossil energy project to secure a Section 48(B) investment tax credit from the Department of Energy and Department of Treasury.
- Represented projects seeking Section 45(Q) carbon capture tax credits.
- Represented an energy project seeking a clarification in federal tax guidance from the Department of Treasury for certain tax exempt bonds.
- Represented an energy company resulting in the award of a $260 million grant from the Department of Energy pursuant to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
- Represented a renewable energy technology company seeking federal grants, loan guarantees and tax credits.
- Represented an integrated gasification combined cycle project related to federal loan guarantees and incentives
- Represented a cellulosic ethanol technology company related to Department of Agriculture and Department of Energy loan guarantee and grant programs and renewable fuels credit.
- Represented an energy company regarding the license of an LNG terminal.
- Represented an international engineering company in connection with FERC regulation of back-up battery storage devices.
Federal Legislative Policy
- Represented local governments resulting in federal appropriations of over a billion dollars in flood control improvements.
- Represented oil companies and utilities regarding energy policy and federal legislation including climate change, EPA regulations, and tax policies.
- Represented an international nuclear energy company regarding federal legislation and nuclear energy policy.
- Represented a US mining company regarding energy policy and federal legislation.
- Represented a lighting manufacturer regarding efficiency standards, federal legislation, and regulatory matters.
- Represented a state government and its related agencies regarding transportation and infrastructure federal funding opportunities.
- Represented a federally recognized tribe before Congress regarding land trust issues.
- Represented a Pacific Island nation and local landowners concerning land use issues.
News & Publications
November 28, 2018
May 29, 2018
May 21, 2018
March 26, 2018
March 15, 2018
February 27, 2018
November 17, 2016
November 2, 2016
By: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, Christopher Caron, John T. Collins, R. Timothy Columbus, Michael V. Dunn, Luis G. Fortuño, Jessica Frend, Chelsea Gold, Micah S. Green, Kate Jensen, N. Hunter Johnston, Douglas Kantor, Grace Kim, Lisa Mortier, Darryl Nirenberg, Allison Nyholm, Eva Rigamonti, Robert Rizzi, Richard Shilts, Scott A. Sinder, Amanda Pedvin Varma, Philip R. West, Lisa M. Zarlenga
October 20, 2016
October 11, 2016
November 8, 2018
Speakers: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, George Callas, John T. Collins, Luis G. Fortuño, Micah S. Green, Kate Jensen, N. Hunter Johnston, Darryl Nirenberg, Eva Rigamonti, Scott A. Sinder
November 10, 2016
Speakers: Jason Abel, James D. Barnette, Leslie A. Belcher, Elizabeth Hurley Burks, Christopher Caron, David H. Coburn, John T. Collins, Richard O. Cunningham, Ambassador Susan G. Esserman, Luis G. Fortuño, Micah S. Green, N. Hunter Johnston, Douglas Kantor, Darryl Nirenberg, Allison Nyholm, Scott A. Sinder, Amanda Pedvin Varma
- Hunter was involved with the creation of the New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park and remains actively involved with the support of public radio in New Orleans, among other activities.