Areas of Practice
- Government & Internal Investigations
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Blockchain and Digital Currency
- Emerging Financial Technologies
- Congressional Oversight & Investigations
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- Financial Services
- Crisis Management
- The George Washington University School of Law, J.D., with Honors, 1994, Managing Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- Princeton University, A.B., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8061
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Jason M. Weinstein, a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office, is a seasoned litigator who concentrates his practice on white-collar criminal defense and government investigations and on matters related to financial technologies.
Mr. Weinstein is a former deputy assistant attorney general in the Criminal Division of the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and a former federal prosecutor, serving as lead counsel in numerous jury trials.
Mr. Weinstein offers clients significant experience directing internal investigations and trying complex cases, and represents clients in criminal investigations before the Department of Justice as well as other government agencies.
During his tenure in the Criminal Division, Mr. Weinstein supervised the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section, the Organized Crime and Gang Section, and the Human Rights and Special Prosecutions Section. In this role, he oversaw the most significant organized crime, financial crime, cybercrime, and intellectual property theft investigations in the country.
Prior to joining the Criminal Division, he served for nearly 10 years as an assistant US attorney in the US Attorney’s Offices for the Southern District of New York and the District of Maryland, where he investigated and litigated all aspects of criminal cases involving financial fraud, racketeering, public corruption, cybercrime, national security, narcotics, money laundering, immigration offenses, and violent crime.
In the District of Maryland, Mr. Weinstein prosecuted many of the highest-profile cases of the past decade in Baltimore. He also served as Assistant Chief of the Criminal Division and as Chief of the Violent Crime Section, where he developed and led Baltimore’s EXILE program, a multi-agency strategy that dramatically reduced violent crime in the city and became a model for the nation.
Mr. Weinstein has received numerous awards and honors, including the Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney, the Department’s Project Safe Neighborhoods Award for building the nation’s outstanding violent crime partnership, and the District of Maryland Award for Prosecution of Public Corruption.
Representative matters reflecting Mr. Weinstein’s experience handling white-collar defense and government investigations can be found below.
Mr. Weinstein is nationally recognized for his command of the complex legal issues surrounding bitcoin and the blockchain. He is the Director of the Blockchain Alliance, a public-private forum established by a broad coalition of companies and organizations to help combat criminal activity involving bitcoin and the blockchain. He is also a member of the strategic advisory board of BitFury, one of the world’s leading blockchain transaction processing companies, and serves on the advisory board of the Chamber of Digital Commerce and Coin Center.
While in government service, Mr. Weinstein oversaw numerous investigations involving the use of virtual currencies. Representative matters reflecting Mr. Weinstein’s experience in financial technologies can be found below.
- Representing global automobile manufacturer in investigation by Department of Justice
- Led internal investigation for board of one of the nation’s largest private companies in response to criminal investigation of alleged fraudulent sales practices
- Representing major financial institution in investigation of allegations of corruption by officials of global sports organization
- Represented technology company in Department of Justice investigation of alleged government contract fraud; government declined to pursue charges
- Represented technology company executive in wire fraud prosecution; government agreed to dismiss all charges
- Represented director of non-profit corporation in Department of Justice investigation relating to government contracts; government reversed debarment decision
- Represented official of prominent energy company in criminal investigation by Department of Justice; government declined to pursue charges
- Representing official of global financial institution in Department of Justice investigation of manipulation of foreign exchange market
- Representing former member of corporate board of directors in investigation of alleged money laundering and securities fraud
- Representing prominent healthcare company in connection with criminal investigation
- Representing current and former public officials in investigations by the Department of Justice, congressional committees, and Inspectors General
- Representing multiple prominent attorneys in connection with investigations by the Department of Justice
- Representing foreign government in connection with Internet gambling matter
- Representing global entertainment company in connection with motion picture piracy investigation
- Representing apparel manufacturer in investigation by Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Representing global digital currency exchange on legal and regulatory matters
- Advising leading block chain transaction processing firm on legal and regulatory issues
- Advising venture capital firms on legal and regulatory issues relating to bitcoin-related investments
- Advising prominent retailers on legal and business issues involved in accepting bitcoin and other digital methods of payment
- Advising leading early-stage bitcoin companies on legal, regulatory, and policy matters
- National Law Journal's "Trailblazers in Cybersecurity," 2016
- Washingtonian Magazine’s “Best Lawyers” in Cybersecurity, 2015
- The Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Cyber Crime, 2015
- The Legal 500 US, Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2014, 2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2016
Select News & Events
- Tax Coalition Forms to Address Digital Asset Uncertainty
- Media Quote Jason Weinstein on Prosecutor in Line to Oversee Russia Probe
- Steptoe Joins the Global Blockchain Business Council
- Washington Post Quotes Jason Weinstein on Trump’s Deputy AG Pick
- Inside Counsel Quotes Jason Weinstein on Blockchain’s Future Impact
- "The Legal Considerations of Implementing Blockchain: Security, Risk and Regulatory," DisruptiveRx - Pharma Blockchain Bootcamp, November 16, 2016
- National Law Journal Names Jason Weinstein a Trailblazer in Cybersecurity
- “Law Enforcement & Anonymous Transactions,“ Consensus 2016, May 2, 2016
- Recent Developments in Law Enforcement, ABA, April 1, 2016
- “Addressing Law Enforcement Concerns Through Education,” DC Blockchain Summit, March 3, 2016
- “What Executives Need to Know about Cyber Risks”, February 24, 2016
- "Implications of the Recent Last Look Settlement on Your Business," Foreign Exchange Professionals Association, January 12, 2016