Mike Miller represents his clients in white-collar criminal investigations and prosecutions, whistleblower and other internal investigations, commercial litigation, international and domestic arbitrations, professional liability disputes, securities arbitrations, and employment litigation. Mike’s clients include individuals and organizations in the financial, insurance, high tech, energy and construction markets, as well as the higher education, entertainment and not-for-profit sectors.
Chambers USA ranks Mike in two prestigious categories – New York White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations and New York Commercial Litigation. Chambers USA notes that Mike’s clients recognize "his deep and comprehensive knowledge of the law in all its intricacies" and that he is a "really fine advocate…credible, likeable and always well prepared." Mike’s clients describe him as "a terrific trial lawyer who earns the respect of judges and juries."
Mike has secured defense acquittals in white-collar criminal cases involving charges of embezzlement and fraud, and client verdicts in both securities arbitration hearings and commercial litigation trials. He earned Top Litigator of the Week honors from AmLaw Litigation Daily for winning a $60 million award in one of his securities arbitrations. Mike also works closely with clients to evaluate and execute on efficient strategies that do not involve litigation, including effective use of mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Mike has served Steptoe as a member of the firm's Executive, Compensation and Nominating Committees, and as the New York Office Managing Partner.
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1985
- A.B., Boston College, 1982, cum laude
Areas of Work
White-Collar Criminal Defense/Internal Investigations
- Represents individual clients in federal and New York State criminal cases from grand jury investigations through jury trials, including winning jury trial acquittals for clients charged with economic crimes.
- Conducts internal investigation for corporate and not-for-profit clients into allegations of fraud, waste and mismanagement.
- Represents clients in federal and New York State income tax fraud investigations, including allegations of concealed taxable income, inflated deductions, abuse of tax shelters, and improper receipt of tax credits.
- Represents government contractors in investigations into alleged criminal violations of the False Claims Act.
- Represents clients in high stakes commercial disputes, including lawsuits seeking over $2 billion relating to the sale of an oil and gas venture in Russia and the Ukraine and millions of dollars for a university’s failure to commercialize a faculty member’s invention.
- Won significant verdicts for clients following jury trials and arbitrations, including a $60 million dollar award following an arbitration over the value of a fixed income investment vehicle, a $12 million dollar award in a dispute over the price and value of computer chips, and a $3 million dollar jury verdict relating to a construction contract.
- Won high stakes dispositive motions for clients, including dismissal of an Alien Tort Statute lawsuit filed in federal court against Muhammed Fethullah Gülen and a class action lawsuit filed in federal court against McAfee, Inc., a major consumer software manufacturer.
- Won $60 million award in a FINRA arbitration against Société Générale in a dispute over the valuation of a tax-deferred investment vehicle.
- Represents corporate and individual clients in connection with criminal, SEC, FINRA and New York State securities fraud investigations and litigation, including allegations relating to false financial reporting, GAAP and non-GAAP accounting fraud, improper application of accounting rules, deceptive financial disclosure, failure to properly record expenses and revenue, and abuse of off-balance-sheet entities.
- Represents corporate and individual clients in connection with securities fraud class action, derivative and opt out litigation.
- Represents law firms in connection with professional liability claims and lawsuits, and regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Moderator, "Attorney-Client Privilege in a New Age of Government Investigations," New York City Bar, June 20, 2019
- "The Yates Memo Turns Two - A Survey of its Impact on Corporate Cooperation," ABA's Criminal Justice Section, August 10, 2017
- "Advanced Forum on LPL/Legal Malpractice," American Conference Institute, New York, NY, October 24, 2016
- "New York State Criminal Law and Practice Issues," New York Council of Defense Lawyers, Manhattan District Attorney's Liaison Committee, New York, NY, May 23, 2016
- "Best Practices on Conducting International Investigations," ABA's 7th National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigation and Forum for In-House Counsel, April 29, 2016
- "Implications of the Recent Last Look Settlement on Your Business," Foreign Exchange Professionals Association, January 12, 2016
- Section 1782 Discovery Seminar, Ernst & Young, Dublin, Ireland, November 19, 2015
- "A Comparative View of Private Prosecutions in the US and UK," C5's 4th Miami Forum on Fraud, Asset Tracing & Recovery, October 27, 2015
- "International Dispute Resolution," Duke Energy, Charlotte, NC, March 3, 2015
- "Is New York For Sale? Federal, State and Local Approaches to Addressing Public Corruption," New York City Bar Association, January 20, 2015
News & Publications
Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts
March 28, 2022
August 23, 2021
May 20, 2021
May 10, 2021
New York Law Journal
April 20, 2021
February 16, 2021
Financial Services University
April 21, 2022
January 27, 2022
October 28, 2021
July 21, 2021
May 12, 2021
February 25, 2021
October 27, 2020
July 16, 2020
May 6, 2020
April 14, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2021-2022)
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, New York (2011-2021)
- Chambers USA, White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, New York (2021)
- National Law Journal, "Trailblazer in Criminal Law" (2020)
- Super Lawyers, New York, Business Litigation (2008-2020)
- Super Lawyers, New York, "Top 100 Attorneys," Business Litigation (2018)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: Commercial Litigation (2015-2020)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: International Litigation (2017-2020)
- AmLaw Litigation Daily, "Top Litigator of the Week" (2011)
- Daily Journal's Top Plaintiff Verdicts (2011)
- Assistant District Attorney, Manhattan District Attorney's Office (1985-1993)
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Board of Visitors (2021-present)
- Law Alumni Board (2012-2021)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Chair, Criminal Advocacy Committee (2015-2018)
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Corporate Criminal Liability Subcommittee, White-Collar Crime Committee, Criminal Justice Section (2010-2014)
- Denis McInerney NYCLA American Inn of Court
- President (2008-2011)
- Counselor to the President (2003-2005)
- New York Council of Defense Lawyers
- Chair, New York County District Attorney Liaison Committee (2015-present)
- Board of Directors (2004-2007)
- The Berkeley Carroll School
- Board of Trustees (2012-2018)
- Chair, Committee on Trustees (2015-2018)