Mike Miller stakes his reputation as an experienced trial lawyer who represents a diverse array of domestic and international clients in commercial disputes, white-collar criminal investigations, professional liability, and securities arbitrations. Chambers USA ranks Mike in the prestigious New York Commercial Litigation category, noting that clients describe him as "an outstanding lawyer who not only delivers great quality legal advice, but is always pragmatic and goal-oriented. His broad expertise in litigating civil disputes is complemented by notable strength in handling white-collar criminal cases."
Mike's strength in the courtroom and tenacious approach to complex litigation consistently yields successful outcomes for his clients. He uses a holistic approach to analyze each situation and develops appropriate solutions to match each client's legal needs. Mike's exceptional rapport with his clients ensures they repeatedly call upon him to handle their most sensitive legal challenges effectively.
Mike has secured defense acquittals in white-collar criminal cases involving charges of embezzlement and fraud, and client verdicts in securities arbitration hearings and commercial litigation trials. He also works closely with clients in civil and criminal matters to achieve their objectives before litigation commences and during the pre-trial stages of their cases.
Mike is a member of the firm's Executive Committee and Compensation Committee.
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1985
- A.B., Boston College, 1982, cum laude
Areas of Work
Represent businessman in New York State lawsuit seeking $2 billion relating to Rosneft’s purchase of an oil and gas venture in Russia and the Ukraine.
Won motion to dismiss Alien Tort Statute lawsuit filed in federal court against Muhammed Fethullah Gülen.
Won motion to dismiss a class action lawsuit filed in federal court against McAfee, Inc., a major consumer software manufacturer, alleging breach of contract and consumer fraud.
Won a $12 million interim AAA arbitration award for Orckit Communications Ltd., an Israeli Internet modem manufacturer, following a hearing held against Conexant Systems, Inc., an Orckit supplier. This award led to an $18 million settlement for Orckit.
Obtained dismissal of breach of contract claims seeking over $65 million in damages from international food products company, CoolBrands International, Inc.
Represented an Icelandic bank in connection with international efforts to recover funds allegedly diverted from the bank.
Represented former owner of an Investment Advisor in litigation against international bank alleging the bank fraudulently induced the client to agree to sale of the Investment Advisor to the bank.
Negotiated resolution of dispute between client, an Israeli telecommunications company, and a US-based entity relating to high tech contracts in India.
Won dismissal of a contentious lawsuit over control of Crown Memorial Company, one of the largest producers of monuments, memorials and mausoleums in the New York City metropolitan area.
Represented clients in the prosecution and defense of accountants' malpractice cases involving both public and private companies.
Advised an international diamond dealer in various disputes with suppliers and customers in the United States, Israel, India, and South Africa.
Represent the former CFO of a real estate investment trust in connection with class action, derivative and opt out litigation relating to non-GAAP accounting entries.
Won $60 million award in a FINRA arbitration against Société Générale in a dispute over the valuation of a tax-deferred investment vehicle.
Defended former head of US operations for Alstom SA, a multinational transportation conglomerate, in federal securities class action litigation.
Represent brokerage firm principals and employees accused by the SEC, FINRA and New York State Attorney General's Office of illegal sales and trading practices.
Represented fixed-income hedge fund manager throughout liquidation proceedings arising out of subprime market collapse.
Defend clients in connection with alleged financial reporting and accounting fraud, including allegations of improper application of accounting rules, deceptive financial disclosure, failure to properly record expenses and revenue, and abuse of off-balance-sheet entities.
White-Collar Criminal Defense/Internal Investigations
- Represent the former head of SUNY Poly in connection with criminal charges relating to the Buffalo Billion economic development program.
Defend the former CFO of a real estate investment trust against federal criminal and SEC charges relating to non-GAAP accounting entries.
Won an acquittal following a two-week jury trial for a client accused of embezzling $300,000 in funds erroneously deposited into her bank account.
Won an acquittal following a two-week jury trial for a client charged with stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from a high-tech wholesale company.
Represent clients in connection with alleged federal and New York State income tax fraud, including allegations of concealed taxable income, inflated deductions and abuse of tax shelters.
Represent clients in connection with alleged federal and state income, sales and use tax fraud.
Conducted an internal investigation for a prominent non-profit organization into allegations of employee thefts and supported a related criminal prosecution.
Represented a modeling agency investigating allegations of employee embezzlement.
Defended a client in investigation of alleged criminal violations of the False Claims Act.
Represent a law firm in litigation relating to the expiration of a client’s stock options.
Represent a law firm and a firm partner regarding advice provided during adversarial proceeding seeking $170 million from the law firm’s client.
Represented a law firm and a former partner facing allegations that the former partner testified falsely on behalf of a client.
- Moderator, "Attorney-Client Privilege in a New Age of Government Investigations," New York City Bar, June 20, 2019
- "The Yates Memo Turns Two - A Survey of its Impact on Corporate Cooperation," ABA's Criminal Justice Section, August 10, 2017
- "Advanced Forum on LPL/Legal Malpractice," American Conference Institute, New York, NY, October 24, 2016
- "New York State Criminal Law and Practice Issues," New York Council of Defense Lawyers, Manhattan District Attorney's Liaison Committee, New York, NY, May 23, 2016
- "Best Practices on Conducting International Investigations," ABA's 7th National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigation and Forum for In-House Counsel, April 29, 2016
- "Implications of the Recent Last Look Settlement on Your Business," Foreign Exchange Professionals Association, January 12, 2016
- Section 1782 Discovery Seminar, Ernst & Young, Dublin, Ireland, November 19, 2015
- "A Comparative View of Private Prosecutions in the US and UK," C5's 4th Miami Forum on Fraud, Asset Tracing & Recovery, October 27, 2015
- "International Dispute Resolution," Duke Energy, Charlotte, NC, March 3, 2015
- "Is New York For Sale? Federal, State and Local Approaches to Addressing Public Corruption," New York City Bar Association, January 20, 2015
News & Publications
February 16, 2021
January 6, 2021
New York Law Journal
December 1, 2020
October 23, 2020
October 21, 2020
September 29, 2020
August 20, 2020
May 5, 2020
Financial Services University
February 25, 2021
October 27, 2020
July 16, 2020
May 6, 2020
April 14, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2021)
- National Law Journal, "Trailblazer in Criminal Law" (2020)
- Super Lawyers, New York, Business Litigation (2008-2020)
- Super Lawyers, New York, "Top 100 Attorneys," Business Litigation (2018)
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, New York (2011-2020)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: Commercial Litigation (2015-2020)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: International Litigation (2017-2020)
- AmLaw Litigation Daily, "Top Litigator of the Week" (2011)
- Daily Journal's Top Plaintiff Verdicts (2011)
- Assistant District Attorney, Manhattan District Attorney's Office (1985-1993)
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Corporate Criminal Liability Subcommittee, White-Collar Crime Committee, Criminal Justice Section (2010-2014)
- Chair, Securities Enforcement Subcommittee, White-Collar Crime Committee, Business Law Section (2009)
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Law Alumni Board (2012-present)
- Denis McInerney NYCLA American Inn of Court
- President (2008-2011)
- Counselor to the President (2003-2005)
- New York Council of Defense Lawyers
- Board of Directors (2004-2007)
- Chair, New York County District Attorney Liaison Committee (2015-present)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Chair, Criminal Advocacy Committee (2015-2018)
- The Berkeley Carroll School
- Board of Trustees (2012-2018)
- Chair, Committee on Trustees (2015-2018)