John Kavanagh focuses on complex litigation including antitrust, securities matters, government investigations, and criminal defense matters, as well as insurance coverage and reinsurance disputes.
John has litigated numerous cases involving antitrust, contracts, fraud, unfair trade practices, RICO, and trade secret matters pending in courts and arbitral panels across the country. He litigates class actions involving antitrust and securities matters, and represents companies in FTC and state attorney general investigations regarding antitrust conspiracies and unfair trade practices. He also represents individuals in SEC investigations and white-collar criminal defense matters involving antitrust conspiracies and securities fraud.
Before joining Steptoe, John served as a criminal defense attorney in the US Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., Boston College Law School, 1997, Executive Editor, Boston College International and Comparative Law Review
- M.A.L.D., Tufts University, 1997, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- B.A., The George Washington University, 1993, cum laude
Areas of Work
Marcie Salopek, Trustee for the Salopek Family Heritage Trust v. Zurich American Life Ins. Co. Counsel for defendant life insurance carrier in action brought by trust regarding rescission of policy.
- 337-TA-1002 Certain Carbon and Alloy Steel Products (2016), USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1002. Counsel for respondent Shougang Corporation in action brought by US Steel Corporation alleging that Chinese steel companies violated US antitrust laws, misappropriated trade secrets and violated the Lanham Act.
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc., et al. v. Southeast Milk, Inc., et al. Counsel for defendant National Milk Producers Federation in antitrust lawsuit involving direct purchasers of dairy products.
- Gordon et al. v. Amadeus IT Group, S.A., et al. Counsel for defendant Amadeus in antitrust class action involving global distribution systems for airline tickets.
- Waste Commanders v. BFI Waste Services et al. Counsel for defendant Republic Services in case filed in Louisiana alleging violations of the Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act and breach of contract.
- Edwards, et al. v. National Milk Producers Federation, et al. Counsel for defendant National Milk Producers Federation in class action antitrust lawsuits involving indirect purchasers of dairy products.
- First Impressions Salon, Inc. v. National Milk Producers Federation et al. Counsel for defendant National Milk Producers Federation in class action antitrust lawsuits involving direct purchasers of dairy products.
- Crestron Electronics, Inc. v. Cyber Sound & Security LLC. Counsel for plaintiff in breach of contract, trade secret, Lanham Act, and antitrust litigation relating to electronic automation and control products.
- Savant Systems, LLC v. Crestron Electronics, Inc. Counsel for defendant in antitrust litigation relating to electronic automation and control products.
- Represented Western Union in multi-year investigation by the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection and 50 states into adequacy of client’s global anti-fraud program. Investigations settled pursuant to consent decrees providing for changes to program and $5 million to be divided by states.
- Represented major US tool manufacturer in investigation by the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection regarding "Made in USA"/US-origin claims, resulting in a closing letter and no penalties.
- Represented national service provider in investigation by attorneys general of New York, Florida, and Ohio into allegations of coordination with competitors relating to contracting practices, resulting in no action taken.
News & Publications
July 21, 2021
By: Michael L. Weiner, Micah S. Green, Leslie A. Belcher, Christopher Bjornson, David H. Coburn, John J. Kavanagh, Damon J. Kalt, Douglas G. Green, Pantelis Michalopoulos, Scott A. Sinder, Bill Toth, Travis West, Peter W. Denton, Dane Jaques
July 19, 2021
February 4, 2021
By: John J. Kavanagh
April 15, 2020
By: John J. Kavanagh
January 2, 2020
April 15, 2021