Travis West advises communications companies on a variety of regulatory, policy, transactional, and litigation matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public utilities commissions. He has drafted comments, petitions to deny, and complaints in multiple proceedings ranging from media acquisitions to spectrum allocation proceedings. In addition to his work before the FCC, he has developed compliance programs for communications companies and universal service funding recipients. Travis has worked on large mergers and managed discovery in those mergers. He also has experience in high-profile litigation in both federal district and circuit courts, including the Eighth Circuit and the District of Columbia Circuit.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2016, Article Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology; Coordinator for Privacy and Security, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology Digest
- M.A., Texas Tech University, 2013
- B.A., Texas Tech University, 2011, summa cum laude
- New York v. Deutsche Telekom: Represented DISH Network in successfully defending proposed merger of T-Mobile and Sprint as conditioned on entry of DISH as new wireless carrier.
- Mozilla v. FCC: Represented Mozilla in challenging the FCC's repeal of net neutrality rules.
- Section 230: Represented party in opposing NTIA's petition requesting that the FCC initiate a rulemaking on Section 230.
- C-Band: Represented party in FCC proceeding re-allocating the C-band spectrum, resulting in multibillion-dollar relocation payments.
- Program Carriage Complaints: Represented multiple independent video programming vendors in program carriage complaints against vertically-integrated multichannel video programming distributors.
- Merger of Tribune Media & Nexstar Media Group: Represented party in opposing merger before the FCC.
- Merger of Sinclair Broadcasting & Tribune Media Company: Represented party opposing merger, which was successfully blocked by regulators.
News & Publications
July 21, 2021
By: Michael L. Weiner, Micah S. Green, Leslie A. Belcher, Christopher Bjornson, David H. Coburn, John J. Kavanagh, Damon J. Kalt, Douglas G. Green, Pantelis Michalopoulos, Scott A. Sinder, Bill Toth, Travis West, Peter W. Denton, Dane Jaques
March 23, 2021
Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast, Regulatory (2019)
- Teaching Assistant, Department of History, Texas Tech University
- Co-chair, FCBA Video Programming and Distribution Committee (2021-present)