Please join us in Washington for Steptoe's Inaugural Regulatory Symposium: Rules, Rules, Rules: Can the Regulatory Process Help as well as Hinder Business Goals?
Date: Thursday, May 2
Time: 12:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
1330 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
This event will bring together federal regulators, thought leaders, and industry luminaries to discuss some of the most pressing issues facing companies in regulated industries.
Our agenda includes an opening plenary session comparing the regulatory models across a spectrum of industries with current and former federal regulators including:
- Steve Cook, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Office of Land and Emergency Management, EPA
- Harold Furchtgott-Roth, former Commissioner, FCC
- Cheryl LaFleur, Commissioner, FERC
- Deb Miller, former Commissioner, STB
- Frank Mulvey, former Commissioner, STB
- Sam Simon, Chief Counsel, Office of Senator Richard Blumenthal
As well as breakout panels on:
- Deference – Judges and scholars have strong opinions on the doctrine of regulatory deference. Does it matter to the regulated industries? What is better, less deference to unfavorable decisions or more to favorable ones?
- Regulatory/Legislative Approach – When and how should regulated industries take a combined approach to resolve their business issues?
- Preemption – Federal agencies have been busy abolishing rules, states have been busy making new ones in their stead, federal agencies have been hoping to preempt them. How does this help or hinder affected regulated businesses? How have the various kinds of preemption fared where the federal agency says it does not have jurisdiction?
- Globalization – Harmony at all costs? Or is a patchwork of different rules better if the uniform rules replace the frying pan with the fire?
This lively discussion is sure to provide insight on how to leverage the regulatory process to advance your business goals. We hope you can join us.
Schedule of Events:
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. | Registration and Lunch
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. | Opening Plenary Session
1:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. | Breakout Session One
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. | Breakout Session Two
4:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. | Closing Plenary Session
5:15 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. | Reception
Click here for a copy of the program agenda with more detailed information on our breakout sessions and confirmed panelists.
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC (1150 22nd Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037)
We have reserved a block of rooms at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, located within walking distance of Steptoe's Washington office. Please click here to reserve your room at a discounted rate. This discounted rate will not be available after April 10.
Steptoe is CLE accredited in NY and CA. If seeking CLE credit in other jurisdictions, please make note in your registration form and we will apply on your behalf.