Jay Nuttall is the co-chair of Steptoe's Intellectual Property group and a nationally recognized patent litigator that companies depend on "when the stakes are high." Clients attribute Jay's success to his quick thinking, effective cross-examination skills, and ability to articulate complex legal and technical issues. His substantial trial experience spans a range of technologies, including telecommunications, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, electronic systems and methods, software, lighting, and chemical processes. Jay has successfully served as lead counsel on patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, and other technology related matters. Some of his significant victories include trying a complex 11-patent case in which the client won on all issues and received attorneys' fees; obtaining a jury verdict of willful infringement and a $78 million judgment; and defeating a multi-patent infringement claim alleging more than $4 billion in accused sales.
Jay also frequently serves as lead counsel for both petitioners and patent owners in post grant review proceedings, including inter partes review (IPR).
Jay is nationally recognized as a leading IP trial attorney by Chambers (2015-2018), IAM Patent 1000 (2012-2018) and Super Lawyers, Illinois (Top 100 Attorneys 2016-2019) where clients have noted that Jay "consistently and successfully litigates against well-known high-profile attorneys who have been practicing many more years than he has" and "has a really good understanding of what our business objectives are [and the] efforts needed" to achieve them.
Jay is also the managing partner of Steptoe's Chicago office and serves on the firm's executive committee.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Patent & Trademark Office
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- B.S.I.E., University of Illinois
Areas of Practice
- Representing American Axle in a multi-patent infringement suit against one of its competitors involving automotive drive line noise and vibration technology.
- Represented and resolved all claims for RR Donnelley in a patent infringement suit involving 10 patents related to web-to-print and variable-data printing products and services.
- Represented RR Donnelley in a multi-patent infringement case related to electronic procurement systems for customized goods. Successfully briefed and argued claim construction and summary judgement on behalf of numerous defendants. Parties reached confidential settlement after RR Donnelley received a favorable claim construction decision.
- Represented VTech in a five-patent infringement suit involving telecommunications products. Successfully resolved all claims resulting from the sale of Nortel’s patent portfolio to Rockstar and Spherix, including invalidating all instituted claims from multiple IPR proceedings.
- Represented CSP Technologies, Inc. in a complex 11-patent infringement suit related to diagnostic test strips. After a successful trial in which CSP’s patents were found valid and infringed, the client obtained an injunction and $8 million settlement.
- "ITC v. District Court and the Changing Landscape of Patent Litigation," Centerforce's IP Strategy Summit: Chicago, Chicago, IL, June 5, 2018
- "Cross-Border Trade Secret Litigation," Inaugural Sedona Conference on Developing Best Practices for Trade Secret Issues, Scottsdale, AZ, December 8, 2017
- "Willful Infringement," 3rd Annual IP Defense Summit: Chicago, Chicago, IL, May 17, 2017
- "Surviving Parallel Proceedings: Litigation and IPRs," IP Enforcement Summit, April 12, 2016
News & Publications
April 29, 2019
March 21, 2019
January 28, 2019
September 13, 2018
July 2, 2018
May 4, 2018
May 3, 2018
January 25, 2018
January 23, 2018
July 14, 2017
Chambers USA, Intellectual Property, Illinois (2015-2019)
IAM Patent 1000, Litigation: Illinois (2012-2018)
Super Lawyers, Illinois, Intellectual Property Litigation (2014-2019)
Super Lawyers, Illinois, "Top 100 Attorneys" (2016-2019)
Super Lawyers, Illinois, "Rising Star," Intellectual Property Litigation (2012)
Law Bulletin Publishing Company, "40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch" (2007)
- Pro Bono Program, Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- The Sedona Conference® Working Group Series SM Patent Damages and Remedies