Areas of Practice
- International Regulation & Compliance
- Export Controls
- Economic Sanctions
- Telecom, Internet & Media
- E-Commerce / Internet
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & National Security
- Telecommunications Law
- Stanford Law School J.D., with distinction, 1992, Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, Stanford Journal of International Law
- Harvard College A.B., magna cum laude, 1988 Phi Beta Kappa
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- District of Columbia
London, EC2V 7HR
TEL: +44 20 7367 8050
FAX: +44 20 7367 8001
Maury Shenk is an Advisor to Steptoe's London office and is a dual-qualified US/UK lawyer. Mr. Shenk focuses on international matters, applying UK, EU, and US knowledge from years of experience. His practice spans many industries, including technology companies, and he has deep technical and business experience in the technology sector.
International Regulation & Compliance
Mr. Shenk has experience on a wide variety of national and multi-national regulatory regimes, relating to cross-border regulation and compliance, including export/import, trade sanctions, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, data protection, competition law. He regularly counsels clients on these legal regimes, primarily from the UK, EU and US perspectives. He has often handled such issues in the context of M&A due diligence (and related deal execution issues), internal investigations, government investigations and voluntary disclosures. His experience covers a wide range of industries, including energy, petroleum & petrochemicals, industrial equipment, IT infrastructure & information security, software, financial services, telecom, aerospace & defense, and others.
Mr. Shenk has extensive experience in regulatory, corporate and commercial telecommunications, Internet, and information technology matters, representing leading technology companies from the United States and Europe. He counsels clients on technology mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and commercial agreements, and handles regulatory matters involving UK, European, US and international regulators. Mr. Shenk also advises clients on data protection, information security, law enforcement access to communications, and intellectual property. He works frequently with Steptoe & Johnson's leading encryption export/import team, and is experienced with encryption licensing around the world.
Mr. Shenk is proficient in French and Russian, and has a working knowledge of German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Norwegian, and Spanish.
Select News & Events
- Law Newz Quotes Maury Shenk on DNC Email Hacks
- WorldECR Again Names Steptoe ‘Export Control Law Firm of the Year, USA’
- Steptoe International Compliance Blog Launches
- WorldECR Names Steptoe ‘Export Controls Law Firm of the Year, USA’
- The USA PATRIOT Act and Cloud Security: Busting the European FUD, September 19, 2013, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- Basics in Navigating US, EU, and UK Export Controls Webinar, November 4, 2009
- Navigating US, EU and UK Export Controls: An Advanced Review Webinar, November 4, 2009