Robert Kappers is an intellectual property lawyer who focuses his practice on patent litigation and post-grant proceedings for technologies of all types, including consumer electronics, automotive, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices. He handles all facets of litigation, including pre-filing investigations, expert and fact discovery, witness preparation, discovery and dispositive motion practice, claim construction, and trial preparation.
Robert graduated as Valedictorian from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was an active member of the Intellectual Property Law Society. He received many awards for his academic success, including the Lawrence Maxwell Memorial Advocacy Prize for excellence in appellate advocacy.
Robert is a Registered Patent Attorney with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Patent & Trademark Office
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2013, summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; Notes and Comments Editor, The University of Cincinnati Law Review
- B.S., Ohio State University, 2010, summa cum laude, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Areas of Work
- Representing Honda in several inter partes reviews concerning patents to thermoplastic encapsulated electric motors.
- Representing Sandoz Inc. in patent infringement suit relating to pharmaceutical for growing eyelash hair.
- Representing Rhodes Pharmaceuticals in patent infringement suit relating to pharmaceutical for treatment of ADHD.
- Representing American Axle & Manufacturing in a multi-patent infringement suit against one of its competitors involving automotive drive line noise and vibration technology.
News & Publications
March 26, 2020
January 29, 2020
January 28, 2019
January 25, 2018
January 13, 2017
Super Lawyers, Illinois, "Rising Star," Intellectual Property Litigation (2017-2020)
Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
The Richard Linn American Inn of Court
Intellectual Property Owners Association, Corporate IP Management Committee