- Asbestos, Silica & Related Bankruptcy Litigation
- China Insurance & Reinsurance
- Environmental Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- Financial Products Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- First Party Property Coverage
- Hazardous Products/Toxic Torts Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- London & Brussels Insurance, Reinsurance & Regulatory Practice
- Reinsurance Litigation, Arbitration & Counseling
Insurance & Reinsurance
Steptoe’s coverage attorneys have represented their insurance and reinsurance clients in over 30 different domestic and foreign jurisdictions.
In one of the largest insurance, reinsurance, and surety practices in the nation, we litigate and counsel clients on a broad array of issues ranging from hazardous product and environmental insurance coverage issues to reinsurance fraud. Steptoe attorneys have been involved in many of the cutting-edge developments in these areas of the law. Our practice involves litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, arbitration, and client counseling and advice regarding a broad spectrum of coverage and reinsurance issues. In addition, our London and Brussels offices have experience in contentious, transactional, and regulatory insurance matters.
We have extensive experience in representing insurers in many large, complex declaratory judgment actions regarding asbestos and other product claims, and environmental and hazardous waste claims. Our reinsurance practice has also involved large, complex cases and a variety of issues including coverage, good faith, fraud, RICO and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Hager v. Allstate Insurance Company, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Fayette Circuit Court, Eighth Division, Case No. 98-C1-2482. Plaintiff sought $1.425 billion in damages ($475 million in compensatory damages and $950 million in punitive damages) on a third party bad faith claim against Allstate under Kentucky's Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Act. Plaintiff challenged Allstate's Claim Core Process Redesign casualty claim handling program, including the Minor Impact Soft Tissue and Colossus claim handling processes, and alleged that plaintiffs' claim against Allstate's insured was delayed for more than 2 1/2 years, before it was settled, in an effort to extort a more favorable settlement. On October 10, 2007, after a two-week trial, the jury rendered a unanimous verdict for Allstate.
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2007-2015; America's Leading Business Lawyers; Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer (Nationwide)
- Ranked in Band 1 in Chambers USA 2005-2015; America's Leading Business Lawyers; Insurance: Insurer (District of Columbia)
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2013-2016; Insurance: Non-Contentious (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2012-2016; Insurance: Contentious Claims, Insurance: Reinsurance (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2010-2011; Insurance: General Claims (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Legal 500 US, Insurance: Advice to Insurers, 2010-2015
- Ranked in Legal 500 UK 2010-2012; Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation, Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory
- Named a Law360 "Insurance Group of the Year," 2013-2015
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 55 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Receives Six Practice, 22 Individual Mentions in The Legal 500 EMEA
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 19 Steptoe Attorneys
- Floyd Bienstock and Nancy White Named to ‘Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona’ List
- Direct Insurance and Reinsurance Dispute Resolution Trends, 2016 ARIAS US Spring Conference
- Antitrust for Insurers and Reinsurers - Staying Clear of Competition Law Pitfalls
- PRIIPs and IDD
- Legal Framework of PRIIPs