- Asbestos, Silica & Related Bankruptcy Litigation
- China Insurance & Reinsurance
- Construction Defect Coverage
- Environmental Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- Financial Products Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- First Party Property Coverage
- Hazardous Products/Toxic Torts Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- London & Brussels Insurance, Reinsurance & Regulatory Practice
- Reinsurance Litigation, Arbitration & Counseling
Insurance & Reinsurance
Steptoe’s coverage attorneys have represented their insurance and reinsurance clients in over 30 different domestic and foreign jurisdictions.
In one of the largest insurance, reinsurance, and surety practices in the nation, we litigate and counsel clients on a broad array of issues ranging from hazardous product and environmental insurance coverage issues to reinsurance fraud. Steptoe attorneys have been involved in many of the cutting-edge developments in these areas of the law. Our practice involves litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, arbitration, and client counseling and advice regarding a broad spectrum of coverage and reinsurance issues. In addition, our London and Brussels offices have experience in contentious, transactional, and regulatory insurance matters.
We have extensive experience in representing insurers in many large, complex declaratory judgment actions regarding asbestos and other product claims, and environmental and hazardous waste claims. Our reinsurance practice has also involved large, complex cases and a variety of issues including coverage, good faith, fraud, RICO and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Hager v. Allstate Insurance Company, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Fayette Circuit Court, Eighth Division, Case No. 98-C1-2482. Plaintiff sought $1.425 billion in damages ($475 million in compensatory damages and $950 million in punitive damages) on a third party bad faith claim against Allstate under Kentucky's Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Act. Plaintiff challenged Allstate's Claim Core Process Redesign casualty claim handling program, including the Minor Impact Soft Tissue and Colossus claim handling processes, and alleged that plaintiffs' claim against Allstate's insured was delayed for more than 2 1/2 years, before it was settled, in an effort to extort a more favorable settlement. On October 10, 2007, after a two-week trial, the jury rendered a unanimous verdict for Allstate.
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2013; Insurance: Non-Contentious (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2012-2013; Insurance: Contentious Claims, Insurance: Reinsurance (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2007-2013; America's Leading Business Lawyers; Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer (Nationwide)
- Received a #1 Ranking in Chambers USA 2005-2013; America's Leading Business Lawyers; Insurance: Insurer (District of Columbia)
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2010-2011; Insurance: General Claims (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Legal 500 UK 2010-2012; Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation, Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory
- Ranked in Legal 500 US 2010-2013; Insurance: Advice to Insurers
Select News & Events
- Chambers UK 2014 Recognizes Steptoe Practices and Lawyers
- Steptoe Receives 11 Practice, 17 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 UK 2013
- Expert Guides Recognize Steptoe Lawyers as Leading Women in Business Law
- Best Lawyers Names Floyd Bienstock and Betty Jo Christian 'Lawyers of the Year'
- “Effective Pretrial Techniques and Recent Developments in Insurance Law,” AIG Complex Tort Claims Department Seminar
- "Herding Your In-Firm Cats and Managing Their Risks: Perspectives of General Counsel and Risk Managers," ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference
- Distribution de produits d’assurance vie
- “Too Many Cooks? The NAIC’s Group-Wide Supervision Framework and the Practical Effect of the Lead State Regulator Model,” LICONY/NYSDFS Life Insurance Compliance Seminar
December 10, 2013
- New York State Trial Court Permits Asbestos Plaintiffs To Sue a Dissolved and Liquidated Corporation Through Service of Process Upon a Liability InsurerInsurance Coverage Case Advisory, Issue 75
November 25, 2013
- New York Appellate Court Affirms That Insurer Properly Notified Policyholder of Addition of Lead Exclusion and That Insurer Owes No Coverage for Underlying Lead SuitInsurance Coverage Case Advisory, Issue 74
November 15, 2013
- Illinois Appellate Court Holds That an Insurer’s Duty to Indemnify Can Be Triggered Even Though the Insurer’s Duty to Defend Has Not Been TriggeredInsurance Coverage Case Advisory, Issue 73
November 13, 2013