Angus Rodger is described by Chambers UK as a "very knowledgeable" lawyer who "really adds value to the business" with his "solution-oriented" advice.
International commercial dispute resolution
A solicitor advocate, Angus exercises advocacy rights in front of the English higher courts, and appears in national and international commercial arbitrations. His recent engagements include representing: an airline in High Court antitrust litigation (several lawsuits with claim amounts exceeding US$ 1 billion); a manufacturer in antitrust litigation relating to batteries; a financial institution in an LCIA arbitration regarding an alleged $1 billion fraud; the insurance market in an LCIA arbitration over a £350 million Bermuda Form claim; a distributor in ICC proceedings in Kuwait over the unlawful termination of a long-standing relationship; the Defendant to a High Court dispute claim regarding alleged breach of a joint venture to develop several commercial properties; and an insurer in a large dispute relating to The Deepwater Horizon incident.
Angus is ranked as a leading lawyer by Thomson Reuters - London Super Lawyer for Advocacy.
Angus has drafted and negotiated many types of insurance policy wordings. He has advised on risk-transfer and alternative risk transactions, including BAE Systems’ $4 billion FRIP, and pension buy-in/buy-out contracts with values exceeding $500 million. He advises insurers and reinsurers on regulation and transactional matters, and is coordinating a leading insurer’s strategy for dealing with PPI issues.
Angus is listed in Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Best Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers. He is ranked as a leading lawyer for insurance and reinsurance claims in Chambers UK, Chambers Global and The Legal 500.
He has authored or contributed to three books on insurance and reinsurance law, namely EC Insurance Law (Longman), Reinsurance Claims Handling (Witherby) and A Guide to Reinsurance Law (Informa). He is a member of the AIDA reinsurance committee, a former chairman of the insurance chapter of the IPBA (Asia's leading law association), and a vice-president of the insurance chapter of Lex Mundi (an international law firm network).
- Solicitor Advocate, England & Wales
- London College of Law, 1992
Areas of Practice
- Microsoft Mobile Oy v Sony Europe Ltd  EWHC 374 (Ch)
- PA(GI) Ltd v GICL 2013 Ltd  All ER (D) 78
- Merrill Lynch International Bank v Winterthur Swiss  2 All ER Comm 846
- Dow Europe SA v Novoklav Inc  1 Lloyd’s Rep 306
- Sword-Daniels v Pitel and others  4 All ER 385
- Neste Chemicals S.A. v DK Line S.A. (The “Sargasso”)  2 Lloyd’s Rep 6
- Napier and Ettrick v R.F. Kershaw (1993) 2 Re LR 205
News & Publications
October 11, 2017
March 16, 2017
March 3, 2017
November 2, 2016
October 11, 2016
September 19, 2016
July 8, 2016
March 22, 2016
March 17, 2016
November 2, 2015
August 2, 2016
July 6, 2016
- Chambers UK, Insurance: Contentious Claims and Reinsurance, UK-wide (2012-2017)
- Chambers Global, Insurance (2014-2017)
- Legal 500 UK, Insurance: Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation (2012-2017)
- Legal 500 UK, Dispute resolution: Commercial Litigation (2017)
- Legal 500 UK, Dispute resolution: International Arbitration (2017)
- Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, Insurance Law (2013-2018)
- LMG Insurance & Reinsurance, Leading practitioner (2017)
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2015)
- Super Lawyers, London (2013, 2015)
- The Legal Elite, Intelligent Insurer (2013)
- UK Legal Experts, Insurance (2011)
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2011, 2013-17)
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (2008-09, 2013)
- Regional Vice-Chair, Insurance and Reinsurance, Lex Mundi
- Past Chairman, Insurance Chapter, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- Panel Member, Reinsurance Working Party of AIDA (Association of Insurance Law/Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances)