John Caracappa, who serves as the co-chair of Steptoe's Intellectual Property group, personally handles every aspect of a client's case, from fact discovery and witness preparation to Markman presentations and trial. His astute experience and technological understanding of the nuances involved in Section 337 litigation enable him to construct successful International Trade Commission (ITC) arguments that are often affirmed upon appeal. His work involves all areas of technology, including wireless communication devices, flash memory devices, online messaging application software, flat panel displays, navigation systems, online banking, hard disk drives, diamond-like coatings, and software. John has victoriously led teams in copyright infringement cases such as BMG Rights Management v. Cox Enterprises, in which BMG was awarded damages totaling $25 million, and in district court matters such as Schrader-Bridgeport International v. Continental Automotive Systems, in which a decision on summary judgment was obtained and the case was dismissed without prejudice.
John is a "rock-solid" first-chair litigator who represents prominent clients in high-dollar patent disputes before the ITC and in district courts across the country. He is a regarded thought leader on Section 337 investigations and district court litigation strategies, having appeared in more than 75 Section 337 ITC cases and patent cases in federal courts. John skillfully shepherds clients, both complainants and respondents, through litigation, working to achieve favorable outcomes that satisfy their specific business needs. John also serves as lead counsel in post-grant review proceedings, including inter partes review (IPR), and was one of the first lawyers to file an IPR petition with the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) under the America Invents Act. Intellectual Asset Management consistently ranks John in its "IAM Patent 1000" for both ITC and nationwide district court litigation, calling him a "true specialist in patent law."
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Delaware
- US District Court, District of Kansas
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Patent & Trademark Office
- J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center
- B.S., State University of New York, Buffalo
Areas of Practice
Representing respondents Cutera, Inc., Emvera Technologies, LLC, Ilooda Co. Ltd., Jeisys Medical, Inc., Perigee Medical, LLC, and Roher Aesthetics, LLC in a 337 investigation in asserting two patents related to radio frequency micro-needle dermatological treatment devices.
Representing complainant Broadcom Corporation in a 337 investigation in asserting six patents related to infotainment systems and other related technologies used in automobiles.
Representing complainant Broadcom Corporation in a 337 investigation in asserting patents related to semiconductor devices and audiovisual products.
Represented Umano Medical in a 337 investigation against claims asserted by Stryker Corporation alleging infringement of four patents involving hospital beds.
Representing Transtex Composites in patent litigation in E.D. Tex. involving aerodynamic trailer skirts.
Representing Autel Robotics in patent litigation in Delaware against allegations by SJZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd. and DJI Europe B.V. involving an unmanned aerial vehicle and operations.
Defending Thales e-Security and Vormetric in E.D. Tex. in patent litigation involving three patents related to a secure multi-party communications system.
"Defend Trade Secrets Act," Managing Intellectual Property's Trade Secrets Forum 2016, September 27, 2016
News & Publications
July 19, 2019
April 19, 2019
July 2, 2018
May 30, 2018
April 23, 2018
August 3, 2017
June 22, 2017
June 2, 2017
April 24, 2017
- IAM Patent 1000, Litigation: DC Metro Area (2013-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Patent Litigation: International Trade Commission (2011-2013, 2015-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Copyright (2018)
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation, Full Coverage (2016-2018)
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property: Trade Secrets (2016-2018)
- Managing Intellectual Property, "Stars" in DC (2013-2016)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, Intellectual Property (2015-2019)
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association