Katherine (Kate) Cappaert handles patent validity challenges before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in inter partes review and covered business method review proceedings at the US Patent and Trademark Office, patent litigation in district courts, and Section 337 investigations before the US International Trade Commission.
Kate has second-chaired numerous oral arguments before the PTAB and served as the lead associate in a copyright infringement litigation. She represents clients in cases involving a wide range of technologies, including consumer electronics and smartphones, cloud and distributed computing systems, pharmaceuticals, and electrical, mechanical, and geo-physical technologies. She also speaks domestically on patent litigation matters, including developments and best practices at the PTAB.
Before launching her legal career, Kate was a mechanical design engineer at a global document solutions and technology company.
- Virginia (practicing under the direct supervision of an active member of the District of Columbia Bar)
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Patent & Trademark Office
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, 2013, cum laude
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008, Mechanical Engineering