The past year has seen a rapid rise in hate crimes against the Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI) community. One report noted that in 2020, hate crimes against Asian Americans rose by 150% in major US cities. In the past few weeks alone, violent and unprovoked attacks have rocked our neighborhoods, from Atlanta to New York City to San Francisco. At the same time, only a small percentage of hate incidents are being charged as hate crimes.
The questions are swirling in our heads.
- How are hate crime statutes being used on the federal and state level?
- What is being done to protect our communities?
- How can we ensure that AAPI individuals who experience these racist incidents also receive the support they need?
- What can we do to make things better?
Join us as we tackle these questions, and explore the use of hate crime laws such as the Shepard Byrd Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the Civil Rights Act of 1968, and New York State's Hate Crimes Law of 2000.
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
Can't make it? Sign up anyway and receive the link to listen on demand at a time that suits you.
- Ellen Blain, Co-Chief, Civil Rights Unit, United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York
- Alvin Bragg, Visiting Professor and Co-Director, Racial Justice Project, New York Law School; and former New York State Chief Deputy Attorney General
- Mimi Rocah, District Attorney, Westchester County
- Tim Sini, District Attorney, Suffolk County
- Christina Yang, General Counsel & Pro Bono Director, Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Los Angeles
- Moderator Ryan Poscablo, Partner in Steptoe's Investigations and White-Collar Defense practice
CLE Credit Available (for Participation in Live Webinar):
- New York: 1.0 hour of CLE credit
- California: 1.0 hour of CLE credit. No credit may be claimed for required CLE in legal ethics, recognition and elimination of bias in the legal profession, and competence issues.
- Illinois: 1.0 hour of General CLE credit
If you are seeking CLE credit for participation in the live event in other jurisdictions, please make a note in your registration form.