Danielle Fern focuses her practice on a broad spectrum of business and commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, product distribution, and franchise law matters. Danielle has advised corporate, partnership, and limited liability company clients in connection with formation and general governance; structuring, negotiating, and documenting mergers and acquisitions; general commercial transactions; consulting and servicing arrangements; and joint ventures and strategic alliances. She has represented numerous international, national, and local companies in industries such as internet and technology, real estate, construction, consumer goods distribution, oil and gas, renewable energy, and charitable and other tax-exempt entities.
Before joining Steptoe, Danielle was deputy general counsel at City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute. At City of Hope, Danielle handled a wide variety of matters relating to the institution’s research operations and marketing activities, including intellectual property license agreements, collaboration and consortium agreements, material transfer agreements, and sponsored research and clinical trial agreements.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1998, Editor-in-Chief, UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy (1997-1998)
- B.A., Swarthmore College, 1992
- Represented the founder and sole shareholder of a corporation in the metal fabrication industry in the sale of stock to a strategic buyer.
- Represented the majority shareholder in the sale of stock in a large metal forging company to a strategic buyer.
- Provided advice and review of franchise law matters in connection with client's acquisition of a large, national franchise company.
- Negotiated and drafted various license and distribution agreements relating to use of proprietary data, proprietary educational curricula, photography, and print publications.
- Represented an internet technology company in its strategic acquisition of an international data collection company.
News & Publications
March 4, 2019
- Intellectual Property Section Licensing Committee, California Bar Association
- Franchise Law Committee, California Bar Association