Will Drake focuses his practice on white-collar criminal defense and internal investigations. Having worked as a political campaign strategist before beginning his legal career, he is well versed in Federal Election Campaign Act compliance. Will has represented Members of Congress and high-ranking government employees in public corruption criminal matters and investigations, and has ample court experience, including many high-profile trials. He has also managed large-scale corporate investigations and represented private sector clients accused of violating federal antitrust, bribery, export controls, fraud, and foreign corruption laws.
Will also participates in Steptoe’s pro bono program and has represented clients in employment and housing discrimination claims as well as in appellate matters before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2009
- B.A., Indiana University, 2000, Political Science
- Defended at trial a former Connecticut governor accused of campaign finance violations.
- Led major independent investigation of nationwide truck stop company accused of defrauding trucking company customers.
- Defended at trial a Puerto Rican private security company owner on charges of federal programs bribery.
- Representing former CEO of large data company accused of securities and accounting fraud.
- Represented former general counsel of large software company accused of export control violations.
- Argued successfully before DC Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of former DC Public Schools chancellor accused of wrongful termination of alleged whistleblower.
"Dealing With the Non-US Client as a Witness, Subject, or Target," Lex Mundi's Business Crimes and Compliance Group Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 18, 2018
News & Publications
June 6, 2018
April 23, 2018
January 2, 2018
April 24, 2017
March 31, 2017
March 27, 2017
ABA Litigation Corporate Counsel
December 8, 2016
By: William L. Drake
April 21, 2016
International Law Advisory
April 12, 2018
By: Lucinda A. Low, Brittany Prelogar, Brigida Benitez, Pablo M. Bentes, William L. Drake, Simon Hirsbrunner, Richard K. Wagner, Alexandra Baj, Rachel B. Peck, Ronak D. Desai, John C. London, Jessica Piquet Megaw, Evan T. Abrams, Elizabeth Arkell, Melissa Freeman, Elizabeth Pericak Ginsburg, Peter Ibrahim, Galen Kast, Peter Jeydel, William W. Simoneaux, A. Cherie Tremaine, Lin Yang, Bo Yue
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, "Rising Star," White-Collar Criminal Defense (2014-2018)