- Complex Litigation
- E-Discovery & Document Retention
- Environment: Air, Land, Water & Waste
- EU Regulatory Compliance
- Export Control & EU Customs
London & Brussels Insurance, Reinsurance & Regulatory Practice
Steptoe's London office handles a broad array of disputes and other matters for leading international insurers and reinsurers. In addition to representing insurance and reinsurance clients in disputes involving substantial claims, our London attorneys regularly advise clients on innovative insurance products, contract wordings, and other insurance-related business issues. Much of the London office’s work on behalf of insurance and reinsurance clients focuses on the convergence of insurance, reinsurance, and other financial sectors. For example, our London attorneys currently advise on using insurance policies to obtain Basel II regulatory capital relief, and on disputes arising out of the transfer to insurers of risk under credit - default swaps.
Our Brussels office performs much of our EU and country-specific regulatory work, advising insurers, reinsurers and other financial clients on setting up and carrying on business in Europe (including in light of the Solvency II project). Clients benefit from the vast experience of our Brussels team in developing insurance products to comply with local legislative and regulatory requirements, resolving questions on transfer of insurance and reinsurance portfolios, assisting clients wishing to expand and restructure their operations in Europe, and advising on complex European tax matters.
In addition to its handling of general regulatory and business questions for insurance and reinsurance clients, our Brussels office regularly advises on related, cross-sectoral matters, such as money laundering, data protection, competition and corporate governance. The office also regularly advises clients on how to challenge national provisions whose scope or effect is in breach of EU-guaranteed freedoms.
- Chambers UK (2013): Insurance Contentious Claims UK Wide, Insurance Non-Contentious Claims UK Wide & Insurance/Reinsurance UK Wide - Leading Individuals - Angus Rodger
- Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2013): Angus Rodger, Philip Woolfson
- UK Legal 500 (2012): Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation, Insurance corporate and regulatory
- Euromoney Expert Guide (2011): Angus Rodger, Guy Soussan and Philip Woolfson
Select News & Events
- International Adviser Cites Philip Woolfson on New Financial Services Rules
- Steptoe Receives Six Practice, 13 Individual Mentions The Legal 500 EMEA
- Commercial Risk Europe Quotes Guy Soussan on Solvency II Timetable
- Law360 Quotes Guy Soussan on EU’s Solvency II Deal
- Association of French Reinsurers Roundtable
- European Captive Forum
- Annual Conference of the Association for the Risk and Insurance Management of Companies (AMRAE)
- Distribution de produits d’assurance vie