- Michelle A. Cooke
- William A. Finkelstein
- William G. Pecau
- Brian J. Winterfeldt
Steptoe’s attorneys recognize how important it is for clients to preserve their distinctive trade identity and the reputation of their business and its goods and services in an increasingly complex and competitive commercial world.
Steptoe offers a full range of services to protect, preserve, and exploit trademarks, trade dress, and other indicia of origin. These services include providing advice concerning the availability of marks; devising strategies for their efficient and effective national and international registration; maintaining trademark portfolios; counseling regarding licensing opportunities; drafting and negotiating trademark licenses; and transferring trademark rights.
In addition, Steptoe’s attorneys regularly counsel clients concerning enforcement and defensive strategies for trademarks, trade dress, and the broader issues of unfair competition, including issues of false advertising, grey goods, and antitrust.
Combined with one of the strongest e-commerce, electronic security, and encryption practices, our attorneys are active in the defense of and counter measures to phishing and pharming attacks, and other online fraud. The firm has represented a wide range of clients in trademark and cybersquatting suits arising from purportedly improper registration and use of Internet domain names. Steptoe has an active Internet arbitration practice, with an emphasis on domain name disputes.
As with its other IP practices, Steptoe’s attorneys have great experience in the many forums where trademark and unfair competition issues may be decided, including federal and state courts, ITC Section 337 proceedings, US Trademark Office proceedings, UDRP proceedings and arbitration, mediation, and other alternative dispute proceedings.
- Ranked as a top trademark law firm in DC by World Trademark Review, WTR 1000, 2012
Select News & Events
- Steptoe’s Chicago Office Expands, Adds Trio of Patent Litigators
- Law360 Features Charles Schill for Practice Leaders Q&A
- Law360 Covers Steptoe's Arguments in ‘Red Gold’ Trademark Infringement Case
- World Trademark Review Recognizes Steptoe in WTR 1000 for Third Year
- Co-Chair, "Trademarks and the Changing Internet Landscape," INTA
- IP Seminar - New Generic Top-Level Domains - A Practical Guide for Brand Owners
- Brand Protection and Advocacy in the Evolving Internet
- Brian Winterfeldt to Receive INTA's 2011 Volunteer Service Award during the INTA Leadership Meeting