- China Central Place, 29th Floor, Tower 2
- 79 Jianguo Road, Chaoyang District
- Beijing, 100025
- Tel: +86 10 5834 1111
- Fax: +86 10 5969 6099
Areas of Practice
- International Trade & Investment
- International Trade Litigation
- International Trade Policy & Negotiations
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1991, Executive Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
- University of Iowa, B.A., with honors and with distinction, 1986, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Eric C. Emerson
Washington DC 20036
TEL: + 1 202 429 8076
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Eric Emerson is a partner of Steptoe’s Washington and Beijing offices, where he is a member of the International Trade and China practices. A member of the firm since 1991, and with over five years' experience living in China, he concentrates his practice in the following areas:
- International Trade Litigation
- International Trade Policy & Strategy
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Pro Bono
Mr. Emerson advises clients on a wide range of legal and commercial issues facing companies doing business in and with China.
In the area of international trade regulation, Mr. Emerson has advised US companies exporting goods to China subject to antidumping and countervailing duty investigations. He was closely involved in two of the largest such cases to date, involving exports of poultry products and automobiles. He regularly counsels clients on strategies to reduce the risk of such cases.
Mr. Emerson also advises companies on key international trade and economic policy issues affecting the bilateral US-China relationship. In his capacity as Co-Chair of the US Government Relations Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), Mr. Emerson works closely with members of the US business community in Beijing and with key decision makers in both the US and Chinese governments. Previously, Mr. Emerson served a three year term as General Counsel and represented AmCham China in its annual visit to Washington to present the views of the US business community in China to US policy makers.
In addition to his work in the international trade area, Mr. Emerson counsels companies doing business in China on a range of regulatory and commercial issues, including Customs entry procedures, pre-merger review under China’s antimonopoly law, and anticorruption compliance. He also supports his colleagues in the Beijing office on transactional matters.
With more than 20 years of experience, Mr. Emerson specializes in representing US and foreign clients in antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings before the US Department of Commerce (DOC), the US International Trade Commission (ITC), and before US courts. Over his career, Mr. Emerson has represented clients in Canada, China, Germany, Japan, Korea, Trinidad, the Netherlands, Thailand, the United Kingdom and the United States in a wide range of industries. His most significant representations include:
- Representing the sole US producer of enriched uranium in a variety of antidumping and countervailing proceedings against imports of enriched uranium from Russia and Western Europe, culminating in a 9-0 victory in the first antidumping duty decision ever issued by the US Supreme Court. United States v. Eurodif, S.A., 129 S.Ct. 878 (2009).
- Obtaining the lowest dumping margin for any producer in the Frozen Warmwater Shrimp from Thailand antidumping duty investigation and first administrative review.
- Representing one of the largest Chinese producers of wooden bedroom furniture in a highly complex non-market economy antidumping investigation.
For companies subject to antidumping or countervailing duty orders or threatened with such cases, Mr. Emerson provides advice on ways in which those companies can remain competitive in the US market while at the same time minimizing their potential liability. He has helped develop pricing models that allow companies to calculate target US prices so as to minimize their liability.
Mr. Emerson helps clients advance their international trade interests through means other than litigation. In these matters, Mr. Emerson works with the US Congress and with Executive Branch agencies responsible for international trade matters, such as the DOC, the Office of the United States Trade Representative and the US Department of State. In these matters, Mr. Emerson works with Steptoe’s Government Affairs & Public Policy practice in developing successful solutions for the firm’s clients. Mr. Emerson has served as a Legislative Assistant to the late Senator Paul Simon in the area of international trade and manufacturing.
As part of this trade policy practice, Mr. Emerson works with governments, trade associations and companies involved in the negotiation of trade agreements to provide research and develop negotiating strategies.
As part of his trade remedy litigation practice, Mr. Emerson advises clients on their rights and obligations under the various WTO Agreements. He also participates in the firm’s pro bono representation of the Cordell Hull Institute, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to facilitating and advancing the current Doha Round of trade negotiations and to strengthening the multilateral trading system.
In addition to his work with the Cordell Hull Institute, Mr. Emerson was involved with the firm’s broad-based effort to assist organizations involved in the fight against child trafficking. In this matter, Mr. Emerson has participated in efforts to change federal legislation to make it easier for victims of human trafficking to obtain benefits and support from the US government.
- #1 Ranking, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012-2014, International Trade/WTO: China
- Ranked, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2010-2014, International Trade/WTO: Asia-Pacific Region
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2011-2015, International Trade/WTO: Global-wide
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America 2013-2015, International Trade and Finance
- Listed, Who's Who Legal 2012-2013, Trade & Customs
- LawEuromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2008, 2010)
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2007, The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, WTO/International Trade: USA: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2006, America's Leading Business Lawyers; National International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 12 Practice, 29 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2015
- The View from Washington, 2015 APCAC Business Summit, March 11, 2015
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2015
- Managing Bribery and Corruption Risks in China, July 15, 2014, (Co-sponsored by Steptoe and Control Risks)
- Media Interviews Eric Emerson on China's Proposed Regional FTA
- Steptoe Receives 11 Practice, 31 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2014
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014 Recognizes Steptoe Practices and Lawyers
- Focus on Free Trade Agreements: What Your FTA Program Should Look Like to Increase Duty Savings, ACI’s China Forum on Import Compliance, February 25, 2014
- The ABCs of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and China’s Free Trade Agreements, European Chamber of Commerce, Beijing, January 21, 2014
- Intellectual Property Rights Concerns Upon Importation, 2013 Annual Conference of the International Bar Association, October 7, 2013
- “Update on Anti-Trust Development in China,” Counsel-to-Counsel Asia Exchange, September 26, 2013
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- Executive Committee, Trade and Customs Committee, International Bar Association, 2010-present
- Co-Chair, U.S. Government Relations Committee, American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), 2015-present
- General Counsel, American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), 2012-2014