- China Central Place, 29th Floor, Tower 2
- 79 Jianguo Road, Chaoyang District
- Beijing, 100025
- Tel: +86 10 5834 1111
- Fax: +86 10 5969 6099
Areas of Practice
- International Trade & Investment
- International Trade Litigation
- International Trade Policy & Negotiations
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1991, Executive Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
- University of Iowa, B.A., with honors and with distinction, 1986, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8076
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Eric Emerson is a partner of Steptoe’s Washington and Beijing offices, where he is a member of the International Trade and China practices. A member of the firm since 1991, and with over five years' experience in China, he concentrates his practice in the following areas:
- International Trade Litigation
- International Trade Policy & Strategy
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Pro Bono
Mr. Emerson advises clients on a wide range of legal and commercial issues facing companies doing business in and with China.
In the area of international trade regulation, Mr. Emerson has advised US companies exporting goods to China subject to antidumping and countervailing duty investigations. He was closely involved in two of the largest such cases to date, involving exports of poultry products and automobiles. He regularly counsels clients on strategies to reduce the risk of such cases.
Mr. Emerson also advises companies on key international trade and economic policy issues affecting the bilateral US-China relationship. In his capacity as Co-Chair of the US Government Relations Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), Mr. Emerson works closely with members of the US business community in Beijing and with key decision makers in both the US and Chinese governments and represents AmCham China in its annual visit to Washington to present the views of the US business community in China to US policy makers. Previously, Mr. Emerson served a three year term as General Counsel to AmCham China.
In addition to his work in the international trade area, Mr. Emerson counsels companies doing business in China on a range of regulatory and commercial issues, including Customs entry procedures, pre-merger review under China’s antimonopoly law, and anticorruption compliance. He also supports his colleagues in the Beijing office on transactional matters.
With more than 20 years of experience, Mr. Emerson specializes in representing US and foreign clients in antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings before the US Department of Commerce (DOC), the US International Trade Commission (ITC), and before US courts. Over his career, Mr. Emerson has represented clients in Canada, China, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, Thailand, Trinidad, the United Kingdom and the United States across a wide range of industries. His most significant representations include:
- Achieving a unanimous negative final injury determination in an antidumping and countervailing duty investigation before the ITC on behalf of the only producer of melamine from Trinidad and Tobago.
- Representing a Chinese producer of intermodal shipping containers in an antidumping and countervailing proceeding that ended with a unanimous negative final injury determination before the US International Trade Commission.
- Representing the sole US producer of enriched uranium in a variety of antidumping and countervailing proceedings against imports of enriched uranium from Russia and Western Europe, culminating in a 9-0 victory in the first antidumping duty decision ever issued by the US Supreme Court. United States v. Eurodif, S.A., 129 S.Ct. 878 (2009).
- Obtaining the lowest dumping margin for any producer in the Frozen Warmwater Shrimp from Thailand antidumping duty investigation and first administrative review.
For companies subject to antidumping or countervailing duty orders or threatened with such cases, Mr. Emerson provides advice on ways in which those companies can remain competitive in the US market while at the same time minimizing their potential liability. He has helped develop pricing models that allow companies to calculate target US prices so as to minimize their liability.
Mr. Emerson helps clients advance their international trade interests through means other than litigation. In these matters, Mr. Emerson works with the US Congress and with Executive Branch agencies responsible for international trade matters, such as the DOC, the Office of the United States Trade Representative and the US Department of State. In these matters, Mr. Emerson works with Steptoe’s Government Affairs & Public Policy practice in developing successful solutions for the firm’s clients. Mr. Emerson has served as a Legislative Assistant to the late Senator Paul Simon in the area of international trade and manufacturing.
As part of this trade policy practice, Mr. Emerson works with governments, trade associations and companies involved in the negotiation of trade agreements to provide research and develop negotiating strategies.
As part of his trade remedy litigation practice, Mr. Emerson advises clients on their rights and obligations under the various WTO Agreements. He also participated in the firm’s pro bono representation of the Cordell Hull Institute, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to facilitating and advancing the current Doha Round of trade negotiations and to strengthening the multilateral trading system.
In addition to his work with the Cordell Hull Institute, Mr. Emerson was involved with the firm’s broad-based effort to assist organizations involved in the fight against child trafficking. In this matter, Mr. Emerson has participated in efforts to change federal legislation to make it easier for victims of human trafficking to obtain benefits and support from the US government.
- Band 1, Chambers Asia-Pacific, International Trade/WTO: China, 2012-2016
- Chambers Asia-Pacific, International Trade/WTO: Asia-Pacific Region, 2010-2016
- Chambers Global, International Trade/WTO: Global-wide, 2011-2016
- Best Lawyers in America, International Trade and Finance, 2013-2016
- Who's Who Legal, Trade & Customs, 2012-2013
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers, 2008, 2010, 2015
- Chambers Global, WTO/International Trade: USA: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy, 2007
- Chambers USA, National International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy, 2006
Select News & Events
- Status of Antidumping and Countervailing Duty Investigations on Steel Imports, National Coil Coating Association Annual Conference, April 18, 2016
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 31 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2016
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 Recognizes Steptoe Practices and Lawyers
- Washington Post Quotes Eric Emerson on ITC Influence Over TPP Trade Deal
- Steptoe Receives 75 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2016
- Key Policy Issues in US-China Economic Relations, 6th China Business Conference, April 28, 2015
- Steptoe Receives 12 Practice, 29 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2015
- The View from Washington, 2015 APCAC Business Summit, March 11, 2015
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2015
- Managing Bribery and Corruption Risks in China, July 15, 2014, (Co-sponsored by Steptoe and Control Risks)
- Focus on Free Trade Agreements: What Your FTA Program Should Look Like to Increase Duty Savings, ACI’s China Forum on Import Compliance, February 25, 2014
- The ABCs of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and China’s Free Trade Agreements, European Chamber of Commerce, Beijing, January 21, 2014
- Executive Committee, Trade and Customs Committee, International Bar Association, 2010-present
- Co-Chair, U.S. Government Relations Committee, American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), 2015-present
- General Counsel, American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (AmCham China), 2012-2014