James Rocap is a respected litigator and adviser in complex insurance coverage disputes. For the past 35 years, he has represented major casualty and property insurers in disputes over coverage for claims arising out of asbestos, tobacco, silica, lead paint, high-decibel noise, dioxin, and environmental contamination. More recently, he has been centrally involved on behalf of insurers in coverage disputes over sports-related brain injury claims (concussions), large commercial property loss and business interruption claims, and physical and sexual abuse claims. Jim has also served as an arbitrator.
Jim chairs the firm's Public Service Committee, and generously dedicates time and talents to a number of pro bono initiatives. He acted as lead attorney in two separate representations of death row inmates, and regularly provides legal services to persons suffering homelessness through the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless. He also serves as treasurer for the Legal Clinic, secretary of the Access to Justice Foundation, and board chair of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty. Jim is also the president of the Historical Society of the DC Circuit, a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 1990 to help preserve the history of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- Hon. Chief Judge William B. Jones, US District Court, District of Columbia, 1975-1976
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1975, Georgetown Law Journal, Articles/Case and Notes Editor
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1971
- Serves as lead counsel for a major commercial liability insurer in NFL concussion coverage litigation.
- Achieved a favorable settlement as co-lead counsel for a major property insurer in litigation over a multimillion-dollar hospital business interruption and bad faith claim.
- Represented Bermuda insurer successfully against a product liability coverage claim exceeding $100 million.
- Served as lead counsel for a major commercial liability insurer, successfully resolving a coverage dispute over copyright infringement claims in excess of $250 million.
- Tried an ADA discrimination claim to a favorable verdict on behalf of a deaf former inmate of the DC jail system.
News & Publications
April 29, 2019
April 19, 2019
August 15, 2018
June 6, 2018
May 30, 2018
May 29, 2018
May 3, 2018
April 23, 2018
August 15, 2017
June 7, 2017
- Chambers USA, Band 1, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer (Nationwide) and Insurance: Insurer, DC (2010-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Insurance: Advice to Insurers (2012-2013, 2015-2018)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, Insurance (2008-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year," Insurance Law, DC (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law (2008-2019)
- Washingtonian magazine, "Top Lawyer," Insurance (2011)
- Best of the Best USA, America's Leading 25 Attorneys in Insurance and Reinsurance (2009)
- Chambers USA, Band 1, Insurance: Insurer Firms, Nationwide; Insurance: Insurer Firms, DC (2008)
- Who's Who Legal, Insurance & Reinsurance (2011-2012)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2009, 2013)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the Best of the Best USA (2007, 2009, 2011, 2013)
President, Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit