Areas of Practice
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Products Liability, Pharmaceutical & Mass Tort Litigation
- Toxic Tort
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1994, Winner, Beaudry Cup Moot Court Competition, National Moot Court Team, Articles Editor, Law & Policy in International Business
- Yale University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1991
- Hon. William G. Bassler, United States District Court, District of New Jersey
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8027
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov is a skilled litigator (with several noteworthy rulings throughout the country) who represents companies from a diverse array of industries, including consumer products, insurance, technology, and energy. She focuses her practice on the following types of litigation:
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov chairs Steptoe’s Class Action practice, which consists of more than two dozen partners across the firm. She has successfully defended companies in the consumer products, technology, insurance, petrochemical and other industries against class action suits. Ms. Quinn-Barabanov’s class action experience includes a broad range of product liability, consumer protection and securities-related matters.
She spearheaded one of the first efforts to exclude expert testimony at the class certification stage that led to a denial of class certification. She is a recognized leader on class certification issues, as evidenced by her extensive speaking and writing about developments in class certification law.
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov has litigated product liability matters related to consumer products, industrial chemicals, and pharmaceutical products. In the toxic tort area, she has defeated claims involving alleged groundwater, air and soil contamination.
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov often serves as national coordinating counsel for companies that face dozens or even thousands of similar lawsuits related to a product or alleged chemical exposures. In this role, she has formulated and implemented global strategies for achieving an effective, coordinated and successful defense, including through the federal multidistrict litigation process, when appropriate.
In addition, Ms. Quinn-Barabanov has substantial experience handling high-stakes commercial disputes for companies in the technology, telecommunications, and energy industries, litigating a wide-range of commercial disputes in areas such as: breach of contract, fiduciary duty and derivative claims, executive compensation, covenants not to compete, trade secrets, retaliation, whistleblower claims, dealer agreements, alleged fraud, and claims under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. She has particular experience resolving commercial disputes in areas subject to extensive state or federal regulation.
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov serves as the deputy practice group leader for Steptoe’s 120-lawyer Complex Commercial Disputes Group. As the co-chair of Steptoe's Women's Forum, she organizes a variety of programs to cultivate the unique perspectives of the firm's women lawyers and professionals. She is a past winner of the “Young Lawyer of the Year” award by the Bar Association of the District of Columbia, for her work as the chairperson of Operation Crackdown, a group of volunteer lawyers who provided free legal services to Washington, DC, community-based organizations seeking to eliminate crackhouses from their neighborhoods. Ms. Quinn-Barabanov is also a 2012 recipient of The Burton Award for Achievement in Legal Writing.
From 1999-2000, Ms. Quinn-Barabanov served as special counsel to the Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo, then secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and currently the governor of New York.
- Occidental Chemical Corp. v. Louisiana Public Service Commission, 810 F.3d 299 (5th Cir. 2016) (holding that primary jurisdiction stay to permit ruling by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission was consistent with the Public Utilities Regulatory Policies Act).
- Rhodes v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours, 253 F.R.D. 365, 374 (S.D. W.Va. 2008) (denying class certification of medical monitoring and common law claims arising from alleged water contamination).
- Rowe v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours, 2008 WL 5412912 (D.N.J.) (denying class certification of medical monitoring claims arising from alleged water contamination).
- Baker v. Chevron USA, Inc., 680 F. Supp. 2d 865 (S.D. Ohio 2010) (excluding plaintiffs’ expert’s causation testimony as unreliable and granting summary judgment).
- In re Welding Fume Product Liability Litig., 2007 WL 1087605 (N.D. Ohio) (granting summary judgment, resulting in dismissal from multidistrict litigation proceedings involving thousands of claims).
Recognition & Awards
- Burton Award for Achievement in Legal Writing, 2012
- Past Board Member, Leadership 35, National Women's Law Center
- Young Lawyer of the Year, Bar Association of the District of Columbia, 1998
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense - Toxic Tort; Energy: Litigation, 2015-2016
Select News & Events
- ACI’s 2nd Cross-Industry Interdisciplinary Summit on Defending and Managing Class Actions, April 3, 2017
- "Leveraging Daubert Motions in Class Certification: Using or Challenging Expert Testimony Amid Divergent Court Standards," Strafford Publications, February 16, 2017
- “Slack Fill Packaging Claims—Empty Threats or Full of Danger?” DRI Product Liability Conference, February 9, 2017
- “The War on the Corps,” AAR, October 25, 2016
- Class Actions: Latest Developments in Law and Practice, DRI’s Class Actions Seminar, July 21, 2016
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov Named to Law360 Product Liability Editorial Board
- “Class Actions & The U.S. Supreme Court’s 2015-2016 Term,” 2016 DRI Product Liability Conference, February 4, 2016
- Wall Street Journal Quotes Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov on Trans Fat Removal
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 103 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2015
- Law360 Quotes Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov on Whirlpool Moldy Washer Verdict
- Law360 Quotes Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov on Whirlpool Class Action Trial
March 13, 2014
September 2013, For The Defense
- Chair, Defense Research Institute’s National Class Action Conference
- Chair, Chemical & Toxic Torts SLG, Defense Research Institute Product Liability Committee
- Women’s Advisory Board, Girl Scout’s Council of the Nation’s Capital
- Co-Leader of Girl Scout Daisy Troop 265 and Brownie Troop 5330
- Gift Committee, Yale University 25th Reunion
- 30th Reunion Steering Committee for Mixed Company of Yale, a co-ed a capella group