- Jason Abel
+1 202 429 6297
- R. Timothy Columbus
+1 202 429 6222
- John P. Fielding
+1 202 429 6296
- Scott A. Sinder
+1 202 429 6289
Campaign Finance & Political Law
Steptoe’s campaign finance and political law clients include corporations, trade associations, labor organizations, political committees, individuals, and tax exempt entities. Our clients call on us for advice on all aspects of federal, state and local campaign finance, pay-to-play and lobbying law, and gift, travel, and entertainment restrictions. Additionally, our team has significant experience advising clients on the federal executive and legislative branch ethics rules, the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), the “revolving door” and other post-employment restrictions, and related civil and criminal litigation and enforcement matters.
Given the increasingly complex web of federal, state, and local government ethics and political law regimes, officers and employees must be aware of the laws governing their behavior and must conduct themselves according to the highest ethical and legal standards. Further, recent pay-to-play rules governing certain political activities of those in the financial services industry (such as investment advisers and swap dealers) present new and challenging issues. We offer detailed government ethics and political law compliance programs and training to corporations and organizations. A comprehensive compliance program can assist in adherence, and can also provide a defense against criminal, administrative, and civil enforcement proceedings.
Numerous corporations, labor organizations, trade associations, federal candidates, political committees, and individuals have called upon the Steptoe team. We have represented our clients before administrative agencies and civil courts on matters relating to violations of federal and state campaign finance, including the Federal Election Commission (FEC) challenges, government ethics, and political laws and regulations. We have also initiated a federal and state campaign finance reporting service for large political action committees (PACs), and we have assisted in securing communications support for political committees’ fundraising and mobilization efforts.
Select News & Events
- MarketWatch Cites Jason Abel on Leftover Trump and Clinton Merchandise
- Law360 Quotes Jason Abel on Presidential Fundraising Among BigLaw
- Wall Street Journal Quotes Jason Abel on Pay-to-Play Rules, Private Equity
- The Huffington Post Quotes Jason Abel on MLB PAC’s FEC Filings
- "Whose Voice is it Anyway? The Influence of Campaign Finance on Party Politics," University of Pennsylvania Law School
- "Elections Have Consequences: An Examination of the 2016 Elections, the Respective Candidates' Post-Election Legislative Agendas and the Impact on You and Your Clients," ABA
- "Whose Vote Will Count? The State of Voting Rights and the 2016 Election," American Bar Association
- "How Business Can Ethically and Legally Interact With Government," American Bar Association