Areas of Practice
- Endangered Species Act and other Wildlife Protection Statutes
- NEPA and Federal Permitting
- Rail Transportation
- Surface Transportation
- Wetlands & Waters: Section 404 & Section 10 Permitting
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1976, Editorial Staff, Law and Policy in International Business
- Brandeis University, B.A., 1973, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
David H. Coburn
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8063
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
David H. Coburn is a partner in Steptoe's Washington office, where he is a member of the Regulatory & Industry Affairs Department. He has specialized in transportation, environmental and administrative law for his entire career and has an extensive transportation practice with the firm, with a focus on surface transportation and aviation law.
Mr. Coburn advises clients with respect to major transportation infrastructure projects, including railroad and pipeline projects. He works closely with a variety of federal agencies on the regulatory permitting and environmental aspects of such projects, including the US Department of Transportation, the Surface Transportation Board and the US Department of State. Mr. Coburn has extensive experience in the application of the National Environmental Policy Act, the National Historic Preservation Act and other laws to rail and pipeline projects. Mr. Coburn also advises clients with respect to issues associated with the federal funding of infrastructure projects. In addition, Mr. Coburn has considerable experience in addressing preemption of state and local law in the railroad context.
In the motor carrier area, Mr. Coburn represents large motor passenger carriers in a variety of matters before federal and state regulatory agencies, including the Surface Transportation Board and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. His experience involves proceedings relating to carrier safety, operating authority and the preemption of state laws, among others.
Hazardous Materials Transportation:
Mr. Coburn regularly advises clients on matters pertaining to the transportation of hazardous materials, including compliance with the US Department of Transportation hazardous materials regulations. He has worked on the preparation of regulatory exemption applications addressed to the Department and has participated in rulemaking proceedings on behalf of several clients. Mr. Coburn also has represented surface and air carriers, as well as shippers, in administrative enforcement proceedings arising from the transportation of hazardous materials.
Mr. Coburn handles all types of regulatory proceedings before the Department of Transportation and Federal Aviation Administration. His DOT experience encompasses contested international route proceedings, airline citizenship issues, exemption and permit applications, charter operations and code sharing and wet leasing issues. At the FAA, he has represented clients in matters involving drug/alcohol testing of aviation workers, the carriage of hazardous materials, aircraft noise rules, and security issues, among many others. Mr. Coburn also counsels a large computer reservations system on regulatory and commercial matters.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Association of Transportation Law Professionals’ newsletter “Association Highlights,” 2013
- Listed in Washington, DC Super Lawyers 2012, 2014 for Transportation: Maritime
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 59 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Advises Stagecoach on Acquisition of Coach America
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 23 Steptoe Partners
- Pittsburgh Business Times Quotes David Coburn on Intrastate Bus Rates
- Hot Topics in Transportation Seminar, March 20, 2006, (A Steptoe-Hosted Event)