Chris Bjornson represents companies who provide satellite, internet, wireless telecommunications, and video programming services before the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), and other foreign and domestic government agencies.
Chris has extensive experience with major telecommunications transactions, complex licensing matters, rulemakings, spectrum auctions, and compliance matters.
His transaction-related experience includes coordinating FCC approvals for multibillion-dollar transactions, leading diligence and compliance efforts that have removed impediments to closing transactions, gaining expedited approvals for license transfers, and opposing major transactions. He was a key member of the teams that helped defeat the Sinclair-Tribune and Comcast-Time Warner Cable mergers, as well as the efforts to attach conditions to the Comcast-NBCU and Sprint-T-Mobile transactions.
Chris' regulatory, licensing and compliance experience spans a wide variety of communications law subject matters, representing clients before the FCC with complex satellite, wireless, and experimental licensing applications; universal service filings, compliance, and appeals; and video programming issues. He has been active in rulemakings before the FCC's Media, International, Wireless, and Wireline Bureaus. He has been on the cutting edge of FCC licensing matters, helping a client obtain the first space station license under the FCC's first-come, first served procedures as well as the first earth station onboard vessel authorization. On behalf of the Federal Communications Bar Association, helped the FCC's Office of General Counsel revise the FCC's ex parte rules. As part of the US delegation to WRC-15, he helped secure adoption of a future agenda item.
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- J.D., Catholic University of America, magna cum laude; Institute for Communications Law Studies; Associate Editor, Catholic University Law Review
- M.P.Aff., University of Texas, LBJ School of Public Affairs, LBJ Award for Academic Excellence
- B.J., University of Texas, College of Communication
"FCC Captioning Rules: Are You in Compliance?," Latakoo webinar, October 5, 2017
"The Global Search for 5G: Spectrum, Technology, Services and Standards," Federal Communications Bar Association, June 19, 2017
Co-Chair, "FCC Boot Camp," American Conference Institute, June 23, 2015
Moderator, "Adapting Law and Regulation to New Video Distribution Technologies," Federal Communications Bar Association, June 7, 2011
News & Publications
June 10, 2019
May 30, 2018
June 2, 2017
June 15, 2016
June 14, 2016
July 1, 2015
June 4, 2015
January 5, 2015
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast, Regulatory (2018-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast, Transactional (2016-2017)
- ITU Roster of Experts
US Delegate, 2015 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15)
- Co-chair, FCBA Transaction Committee (2019-present)
- Co-chair, FCBA Access to Government Committee (2002-2010, 2017-2019)
- Co-chair, FCBA International Committee (2016-2017)
- Co-chair, FCBA Video Programming and Distribution Committee (2010-2016)
- Member, Chancellor’s Council, University of Texas System (2017-present)
- Advisory Board, Bill Archer Center of the University of Texas System (2005-present)