Areas of Practice
- Economic Sanctions
- Export Controls
- Financial Services
- Government & Internal Investigations
- International Regulation & Compliance
- International Trade & Investment
- Public International Law
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2002
- Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, B.S.F.S., 1996
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6437
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Meredith Rathbone is a partner in Steptoe's Washington office, where she is a member of the International Regulation & Compliance Group, and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee.
International Regulatory Compliance
Export Controls and Economic Sanctions
Ms. Rathbone counsels clients in numerous countries on achieving their business goals while ensuring compliance with US export control and sanctions laws administered by the Departments of Commerce, State, and Treasury. She has assisted clients in the financial services, technology, telecommunications, energy, defense, insurance, manufacturing, retail, and service industries, among others, in navigating the requirements of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and US sanctions laws and regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Her experience in this area includes assisting clients in resolving politically sensitive matters under the joint administration of various government agencies.
Ms. Rathbone has assisted clients in conducting internal investigations, preparing and filing voluntary disclosures and subpoena responses, obtaining export and technology transfer authorizations, and undertaking product classification and jurisdiction assessments. Ms. Rathbone regularly advises companies in navigating export controls and sanctions considerations in the context of mergers and acquisitions. She has represented individuals facing white collar criminal investigations in this area, as well as clients seeking to be removed from OFAC’s SDN list through the delisting process. From 2013-2015 she served as a co-chair of the ABA International Law Section’s Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee.
Anti-corruption and Money Laundering
Ms. Rathbone has advised multinational companies on compliance with anti-corruption laws, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and has conducted investigations and advised clients on responding to inquiries from the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. She has also provided counseling on US anti-money laundering laws.
Ms. Rathbone’s experience in Customs compliance includes assisting clients in responding to NAFTA verifications, as well as advising clients on tariff classifications. She provides advice to companies on making country-of-origin assessments and on compliance with both Customs and Federal Trade Commission country-of-origin marking regulations. Ms. Rathbone has advised clients on preparing voluntary disclosures of potential Customs violations, and assisted them in developing long-term Customs compliance strategies.
Public International Law
Ms. Rathbone has advised clients on compliance with United Nations sanctions and arms embargoes, including UN Security Council resolutions restricting certain dealings with Iran and Somalia. Ms. Rathbone has experience advising companies on the political and commercial effects of regime change and government succession as provided by international contracts law, customary international law, and the laws of war.
International Government Procurement
Ms. Rathbone has assisted companies in achieving their business goals by advising them on the eligibility of their products and technology for US military and civilian government procurement under the Buy American Act, the Trade Agreements Act, and other domestic procurement laws.
Ms. Rathbone has been an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University, teaching courses in international and comparative law to both law students and undergraduates. She has lived and studied in Finland, Russia, and Italy.
- WorldECR, Highly Commended as an Export Controls Practitioner, 2016
- Legal 500 US, International Trade, 2012, 2016
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers, 2015
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to Women in Business Law, 2013
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers "Rising Star," International, 2013
Select News & Events
- Iran: How to Minimize Pitfalls, ACI's Houston Forum on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, January 31, 2017
- WorldECR Quotes Ed Krauland, Meredith Rathbone on Sanctions in 2016
- The Evolving Role and Scope of the Commerce Department’s Export Administration Regulations, PLI's Coping with US Export Controls 2016 Conference, December 15, 2016
- Navigating Sanctions in a Changing World, IBA 2016 Annual Conference, September 19, 2016
- WorldECR Again Names Steptoe ‘Export Control Law Firm of the Year, USA’
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- US Sanctions and US Efforts targeting US Taxpayers with Offshore Bank Accounts, Association of Banks in Singapore, April 27, 2016
- Inside US Trade Quotes Meredith Rathbone on Exchange Rate Shift in Cuba
- Open for Business? Cuba's Emerging Opportunities and Remaining Challenges, The Washington Foreign Law Society, March 23, 2016
- Conducting Effective Internal Investigations, ACI's 6th Annual Forum on AML and OFAC Compliance for the Insurance Industry, January 21, 2016
- Politico Quotes Meredith Rathbone on Export Controls for Cybersecurity
- GIR Cites Meredith Rathbone on Grey Area of Iran Sanctions Law
- Sanctions Subcommittee, Advisory Committee on International Economic Policy, US State Department
- Prior Co-chair, Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee, International Law Section, American Bar Association
- Advisory Past President, Washington Foreign Law Society