Our transportation attorneys represent clients in a broad range of commercial and regulatory matters pertaining to rail, motor, and air carriage. Known for the depth of our experience in transportation litigation and appellate matters, we have participated in major cases involving rail mergers, state taxation of railroads, the creation of short line carriers, and various other cases of industry-wide significance.
We are recognized as a leading firm in virtually every major area of rail litigation and regulatory activity, and our experience in high-profile cases has given us a thorough understanding of the complex and evolving issues in rail transportation law.
In our motor carrier practice, we represent users of motor carrier services and operators of private motor carrier fleets in contract, commercial, regulatory, and Congressional matters. Our aviation practice focuses on representing foreign air carriers and other aviation interests in a variety of commercial and regulatory settings.
- Received a #1 Ranking in Chambers USA 2008-2012: America's Leading Business Lawyers; Transportation: Rail (Nationwide)
- 2013 US News-Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year” in Railroad Law (Nationwide)
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 59 Steptoe Attorneys
- Best Lawyers Names Floyd Bienstock and Betty Jo Christian 'Lawyers of the Year'
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 42 Steptoe Attorneys
- Moderator, “How Will the Expansion of the Panama Canal Impact the Transportation Modes?” Maritime Ports & Shipping Forum
- "Railroads: Developments During 2012-2013," Association of Transportation Law Professionals' 84th Annual Meeting
- Moderator, Joint March Brown Bag Transportation Lawyers Luncheon
- Wizard of Odds: How to Improve Your Chances of Winning on Federal Preemption?”
- Author, “Defining the Scope of Admiralty Jurisdiction: Is a Floating Home a ‘Vessel’?”Federal Bar Association, Transportation and Transportation Security Law Section, Winter 2013, TransLaw
2013, Energy, Utility, Transportation and Environment Law for the 21st Century: A Collection