Marc Spitzer counsels and represents utilities and energy companies before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), at state utility commissions, Congress, federal agencies and state legislatures. Marc’s clients rely on his deep understanding of the energy sector backed by years in appointed and elected government service. Marc served as a FERC commissioner from July 2006 to December 2011. He also served six years on the Arizona Corporation Commission, including a term as ACC chairman. First elected to the Arizona State Senate in 1992, Marc served four terms , including as Senate Majority Leader. One of his clients says Marc “has a keen political instinct for FERC matters and a broad knowledge of the subject matter that makes him an extremely effective advocate.”
His electric utility clients have included Southern Company, Duke Energy, Edison Electric Institute, Southern California Edison, Arizona Public Service, Salt River Project, Hunt Utility Company, Tucson Electric Power, Exelon, and Pepco for regulatory and public policy work. Marc also represents natural gas and oil pipeline clients such as Southwest Gas, Rockies Express, Energy Transfer Partners, Enbridge, and Freeport LNG before FERC and other federal and state agencies.
- District of Columbia
- US Tax Court
- Tribal Courts of the Navajo Nation
- US District Court, District of Arizona
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1982, cum laude
- B.A., Dickinson College, 1979, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Representing Arizona Public Service Company before Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC).
- Representing UNS Energy Company/Tucson Electric Power in a range of regulatory proceedings before FERC and the ACC.
- Represented Hunt Utility Company and its affiliates on matters before the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
- Represented Southern Company in financing application proceedings at FERC under Federal Power Act Section 204.
- Represented Salt River Project in Federal District Court antitrust litigation and proceedings at the ACC and before FERC.
- Represented Pepco Holdings In FPA Section 206 complaint proceedings at FERC.
- Advised and represented Oaktree Capital Management in connection with FPA Section 203 matters at FERC.
Keynote address to the Canadian Energy Law Forum, Toronto, Canada, May 8, 2018
"Perspectives on the Prospects for Getting to 50 Percent Renewables and the Best Ratemaking Approaches," 13th Annual National Conference on Current Issues in Electric Utility Rate Cases, Las Vegas, NV, March 16, 2017
"Changes and Challenges to the Income Tax Allowance and Impacts on Investment Decisions Post-United Airlines, Inc. v. FERC," 2016 EBA Mid-Year Energy Forum, October 6, 2016
"Report from the Nation's Capital on Federal Energy and Environmental Policy," Annual Energy in the Southwest Conference, August 11, 2016
"Special State Commissioner's Panel: Adapting Public Policies to New Environmental Constraints and Market Realties," Annual Energy in the Southwest Conference, August 11, 2016
News & Publications
May 31, 2018
May 30, 2018
April 23, 2018
April 23, 2018
March 13, 2018
February 16, 2018
By: Marc L. Spitzer
January 30, 2018
January 2, 2018
- Legal 500 US, Energy: Regulatory: Conventional Power (2013, 2017-2018)
- Legal 500 US, Energy: Litigation: Conventional Power (2016-2017)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, Energy & Natural Resources (2017-2018)
- AzBusiness Magazine, Arizona's Top Lawyers: Renewable Energy (2013)
- Ranking Arizona Magazine, Top Lawyers: Renewable Energy (2013)
- Recipient of awards for public service from more than 60 organizations
- Recipient of Exceptional Achievement Award from State Bar of Arizona