- Class Action Defense
- EU Competition
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
Antitrust & Competition
Our US antitrust and EU competition law practices focus on: cartels, dominant firm conduct, merger control, complex litigation, including class actions, and criminal antitrust investigations and prosecutions. With more than 25 lawyers practicing antitrust and competition law across various industry sectors, Steptoe has the depth of experience to effectively assist clients with their antitrust and competition needs. These lawyers, based in Brussels, Washington, London, and Beijing, work closely together to provide a seamless and unified strategic approach in antitrust investigations conducted in parallel by authorities in multiple jurisdictions, and in doing so, to create efficiencies for clients.
Our global antitrust practice comprises the following practice areas:
- Antitrust Counseling and Compliance
- Antitrust Enforcement & Intellectual Property Rights
- Cartel/Price-Fixing and Dawn Raids
- Complex Antitrust Litigation & Class Actions
- EU Competition
- Government Civil Investigations & Litigation
- Grand Juries & Criminal Prosecutions
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures
- Private Antitrust Litigation
- Unilateral Conduct by Dominant Companies
- State Aid
- Defense of a leading airline in a multi-national price-fixing investigation; US, EU, and Swiss authorities.
- A leading defense contractor in opposing a merger before Canadian and EU agencies (as well as US agencies).
- A leading US electric utility in its acquisition of a major UK utility.
- Defense of a US chemical company's joint venture and technology license with a European firm (European Commission investigation).
- A US chemical company in the sale of its polyether polyols business to a German firm and a propylene oxide joint venture with the same firm—European Commission investigation.
- A telecommunications company in connection with acquisitions and marketing ventures with significant European components.
- A major US air transportation company in its acquisition of retail outlets worldwide—merger reviews in numerous countries, including the second-ever filing in People’s Republic of China.
- A major biotechnology-based pharmaceutical company in the potential acquisition of a European-based pharmaceutical company; EU and member state competition regimes.
- A major US electronics manufacturer in a French price-fixing investigation; working closely with local French competition law experts.
- A major US chemical company in its proposed acquisition of a European competitor; merger reviews in several European countries.
- Leading agricultural company in EU investigations related to food additives.
- A major travel reservations system in its defense of coordinated investigations by US and EU authorities; the first referral of a civil investigation by the United States to the European Commission.
- Global Investigations Review (GIR) 100, Top 30 Firms for Investigations Worldwide, 2015
- Global Competition Review, Antitrust (DC), 2015
- Legal 500 EMEA, Competition (Belgium), 2011, 2012, & 2015
Select News & Events
- National Law Journal Names Ken Ewing, Ed Schwartz Antitrust Trailblazers
- GIR Again Names Steptoe One of the Top 30 Firms for International Investigations
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Ken Ewing on Market Competition Proposals
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Ken Ewing on FTC’s New Approach on Foreign Entities
- Annual Antitrust, Competition and Trade Practice Group Meeting, Lex Mundi
- Latest Trends in US and EU Antitrust Enforcement
- Antitrust for Insurers and Reinsurers - Staying Clear of Competition Law Pitfalls
- “Regulators’ Perspective,” IBC Legal’s Advanced EU Competition Law