Leah M. Quadrino is an accomplished commercial litigator, representing plaintiffs and defendants in domestic and international disputes across a variety of industries, including financial services, real estate, oil and gas, toxic tort, waste disposal, reinsurance, and insurance, among other areas. Named a "Next Generation Lawyer" in Dispute Resolution: General Commercial Disputes by the Legal 500 US, Leah has tried cases before state and federal courts (jury and bench trials) and arbitration panels, including before Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS).
Drawing on her widespread litigation experience, Leah also handles professional liability matters. She represents lawyers in defense of legal malpractice claims, including claims under New York Judiciary Law Section 487, and advises clients concerning allegations of malpractice and ethical violations.
Leah also recognizes that many disputes can be resolved outside of the courtroom and that clients are often best served when that can be achieved. She works closely with her clients to understand their business needs and develop a litigation strategy that balances vigorous representation with an awareness of the larger picture at every phase of the dispute.
Active in her pro bono practice and in her community, Leah has represented recent immigrants, refugees, and homeless persons, as well as victims of sex trafficking, employment discrimination, and excessive force violations. She is a member of the Board of Trustees for the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, and she serves as co-chair of Steptoe's firm-wide Professional Training Committee.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2002, Member, The Fordham Urban Law Journal; Captain, National Moot Court Competition Team; Captain, Philip C. Jessup International Law, Moot Court Competition Team; Lawrence J. McKay Prize
- B.A., Yale University, 1997, Literature
- Represented Fortune 500 waste disposal company in obtaining full dismissal of complaint alleging breach of contract, unjust enrichment and unfair competition claims through successful summary judgment briefing and trial.
- Represented Fortune Global 500 chemical manufacturer in class action litigation involving medical monitoring claims that ended in a successful settlement.
- Represented major international law firm in obtaining summary judgment dismissal of suit against firm and former partner under NY Judiciary Law Section 487.
- Represented insurer in arbitration proceeding in defeating multimillion-dollar claim based on scope of an asbestos exclusion.
- Represented, on a pro bono basis, family members of a man who died in police custody after being tased eight times in 14 minutes in successful petition for writ of certiorari to the US Supreme Court.
"Negotiation Strategies," National Legal Malpractice Conference, San Diego, CA, September 13, 2019
"Direct Insurance and Reinsurance Dispute Resolution Trends," 2016 ARIAS US Spring Conference, Palm Beach, FL, May 13, 2016
News & Publications
August 25, 2020
July 7, 2020
May 5, 2020
April 29, 2020
April 27, 2020
April 20, 2020
April 14, 2020
April 13, 2020
April 10, 2020
April 9, 2020
May 6, 2020
- Legal 500 US, Next Generation Lawyer, Dispute Resolution: General Commercial Disputes (2019-2020)
- Legal 500 US, Dispute Resolution: General Commercial Disputes (2019-2020)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, Rising Star (2015-2018)
Appointed Member, Leadership Development Committee, DC Bar (2018-2020)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia (2019- )
Elected Member, DC Bar Board of Governors (2015-2018)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2013-present)
Appointed Member, Standing Committee on Law in Public Service, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (2013-2017)
Chair, Scholarship Fund Board, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (2016-2018)
Chair, Committee on Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (2012-2013)