Anthony Hopp is an experienced trial lawyer who represents clients in complex commercial, environmental, and mass tort matters. Tony handles all phases of single plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and class action claims, and has tried multiple cases to verdict in state and federal courts. He has also argued and won appeals in Illinois, California, New York, Nebraska, and the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Some of these matters include defeating class certification for medical monitoring after a multi-day evidentiary hearing, obtaining defense verdicts on medical monitoring claims in a subsequent jury trial, securing defense verdicts in five TCE groundwater contamination claims after a three week jury trial, negotiating a favorable settlement after a two week class action trial involving TCE groundwater contamination, and obtaining multiple preliminary injunctions in cases involving Lanham Act violations, trade secret claims, and breaches of post-employment restrictive covenants.
Over the course of his career, Tony has handled a wide variety of litigation and counseling engagements. His litigation experience includes mass tort matters, CERCLA cases, consumer class actions, insurance coverage disputes including bad faith, unfair competition and Lanham Act claims, trade secret claims, patent claims, actions for violation of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, employment discrimination claims, shareholder derivative claims, dealership termination cases, medical malpractice cases, forcible entry and detainer cases, housing discrimination and zoning litigation. His counseling experience includes risk management and product stewardship issues, product recalls, environmental audits, internal corporate investigations, and local siting of solid waste management facilities.
Tony has been on the Board of Directors of the Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) since 2006. In 2005, he received the LCBH Volunteer of the Year award. Starting in 2009, he served as president of the Board of Directors for five years.
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- J.D., University of Illinois, 1988, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1984, summa cum laude, Bronze Tablet, English Literature
Areas of Practice
- Twenty-five years of experience in CERCLA, RCRA and common law environmental remediation and cost-recovery cases for clients across the United States.
- Currently representing a manufacturer of wood preservative products in connection with the Portland Harbor Superfund Site.
- Represented a regional agricultural cooperative network in five statewide class action cases alleging nuisance and trespass from the presence of atrazine in drinking water.
- Represented a multi-national company in a series of class actions and individual lawsuits alleging property damage from the presence of TCE in groundwater in Illinois and Ohio.
- Represented a municipality in the appeal of a denial of local siting approval for a landfill.
Product Liability/Mass Tort
- Currently representing a regional agricultural cooperative in personal injury litigation claiming exposure to atrazine.
- Currently representing wood preservative manufacturers in personal injury litigation related to chromated copper arsenate wood preservative.
- Represented wood preservative manufacturers in several thousand personal injury cases in West Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Ohio, Washington, New Jersey, New York and California claiming exposure to creosote, pentachlorophenol and chromated copper arsenate.
- Argued and won a products liability/wrongful death case in the Supreme Court of Nebraska arising out of alleged pentachlorophenol exposure.
Lanham Act/Trade Secrets
- Represented a Chicago-based advertising firm in trade secret litigation.
- Represented a New York-based internet advertising company in trade secret litigation.
- Represented a New York-based wood preservative manufacturer in Lanham Act litigation.
- Represents the largest US commercial roofing contractor in employment and trade secret litigation.
- Represented a regional hospital system in a series of employment matters.
"Pipeline Accidents: Civil Litigation," Lawline webcast, November 15, 2018
“The Catastrophic Release: Are You Prepared?” The Chicagoland Safety, Health & Environmental Conference, September 18, 2018
"Differential Diagnosis and Daubert: Preventing the Misuse of Differential Etiology to Prove Causation," International Association of Defense Council (IADC), September 28, 2016
News & Publications
January 28, 2019
November 6, 2018
- Adjunct faculty member, The University of Illinois College of Law
- Super Lawyers, Illinois, Environmental (2018-2019)
- Legal 500 US, Environment: Litigation (2017)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense - Toxic Tort (2016)
- Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Environmental Law, Products Liability Defense Law, Toxic Torts Defense Law (2013-2017)
- Member of the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER) Science and Technology Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)