- David B. Raskin
+1 202 429 6254
- Steven Reed
+1 202 429 6232
- Richard L. Roberts
+1 202 429 6756
With one of the premier, more experienced Energy practices in the country, Steptoe is well-equipped to find creative solutions to complex energy matters. Our long-established relationships with leading energy producers, transporters, and marketers have led to an extensive practice involving counseling, litigating, and representing companies before Congress, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and other federal and state agencies.
Electric Power. Listed in Chambers USA 2012 in the Energy: Electricity category, Steptoe boasts one of the more respected Electric Power practices in the United States. We represent electric utility companies and other electric industry participants in matters involving antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, bulk power transactions, industry restructuring, transmission access and pricing, electric rates, nuclear plant litigation, and hydroelectric licensing.
Our lawyers negotiate and seek approval of contracts for wholesale power and transmission ventures, prepare documentation for developing financial joint generation and transmission ventures, represent utilities before FERC, and litigate disputes before federal and state trial and appellate courts and the US Supreme Court. We also provide corporate, commercial, and regulatory counsel to developers and investors in electric power projects and represent foreign governments and other parties in privatization initiatives.
Energy Transactions. Our Energy Transactions practice represents buyers, sellers, and marketers in almost every kind of wholesale power and energy transaction, including municipalizations, pipeline financing, asset sales and purchases, mergers and other stock transactions, joint ventures, leases, and other forms of agreement. We also advise on antitrust issues associated with rate filings, transmission arrangements, planning for electric power supply, diversification efforts, and mergers and acquisitions. Our clients include major energy producers, suppliers, foreign governments, domestic and international pipelines, holding companies, and quasi-governmental corporations.
Oil & Gas Pipelines. For more than 30 years, our pipeline lawyers have provided legal services to clients in the energy industry, with extensive experience working to develop, finance, and operate domestic and foreign pipelines. We offer clients highly experienced counsel in the areas of economic and safety regulation, domestic and international transactions, and a wide range of other energy-related fields of practice. Chambers USA 2011 describes our strong reputation for advising "both integrated oil companies and independent pipeline companies on all manner of regulatory matters." Clients of our pipeline practice include major oil companies and independent pipelines (including owners of the Trans Alaska Pipeline System and many integrated and independent lower 48 systems), as well as foreign governments.
Petroleum Marketing. Steptoe represents the individuals and companies that sell approximately 80% of the motor fuels at retail in the United States. In the course of this representation, we are regularly involved with energy legislation in Congress.
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2014; Energy: Electricity (US) and Energy: Oil & Gas (US)
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2009-2012; Energy: Electricity (US) and Energy: Oil & Gas (US)
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2008-2012; Energy: Electricity (Nationwide) and Energy: Oil & Gas (Nationwide)
- Recommended, Legal 500 Energy: Litigation and Energy: Regulatory 2012-2014
- Steptoe partner Tim Columbus ranked in National Journal's Top 25 Lobbyists for motor fuels and energy in 2007
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 54 Steptoe Attorneys
- Inside FERC Quotes Marc Spitzer on Protests of Commission’s Review Process
- Steptoe Receives 12 Practice, 29 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2015
- Politico Quotes Marc Spitzer On FERC Role in EPA Climate Rule
- "The Politics and Process of Keystone XL," Canada Institute
- “PHMSA – Pipeline Safety Laws & Regulations,” 2014 Southern Gas Association Operating Conference
- “Federal Regulatory Issues: Are Net Metering Transactions within FERC or State Jurisdiction?” Edison Electric Institute’s 2014 Spring Legal Conference
- “Utility Revenue Erosion from On-Site Electricity Generation: What To Do Next?” Energy Bar Association’s 2014 Annual Meeting & Conference