- David B. Raskin
+1 202 429 6254
- Steven Reed
+1 202 429 6232
- Richard L. Roberts
+1 202 429 6756
With one of the premier, more experienced energy practices in the country, Steptoe is well-equipped to find creative solutions to complex energy matters. Our long-established relationships with leading energy producers, transporters, and marketers have led to an extensive practice involving counseling, litigating, and representing companies before Congress, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and other federal and state agencies.
Electric Power. Listed in Chambers USA 2015 in the Energy: Electricity category, Steptoe boasts one of the more respected electric power practices in the United States. We represent electric utility companies and other electric industry participants in matters involving antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, bulk power transactions, industry restructuring, transmission access and pricing, electric rates, nuclear plant litigation, and hydroelectric licensing.
Our lawyers negotiate and seek approval of contracts for wholesale power and transmission ventures, prepare documentation for developing financial joint generation and transmission ventures, represent utilities before FERC, and litigate disputes before federal and state trial and appellate courts and the US Supreme Court. We also provide corporate, commercial, and regulatory counsel to developers and investors in electric power projects and represent foreign governments and other parties in privatization initiatives.
Energy Transactions. Our energy transactions practice represents buyers, sellers, and marketers in almost every kind of wholesale power and energy transaction, including municipalizations, pipeline financing, asset sales and purchases, mergers and other stock transactions, joint ventures, leases, and other forms of agreement. We also advise on antitrust issues associated with rate filings, transmission arrangements, planning for electric power supply, diversification efforts, and mergers and acquisitions. Our clients include major energy producers, suppliers, foreign governments, domestic and international pipelines, holding companies, and quasi-governmental corporations.
Oil & Gas Pipelines. For more than 30 years, our pipeline lawyers have provided legal services to clients in the energy industry, with extensive experience working to develop, finance, and operate domestic and foreign pipelines. We offer clients highly experienced counsel in the areas of economic and safety regulation, domestic and international transactions, and a wide range of other energy-related fields of practice. Chambers USA 2015 describes our practice as "top flight - the leading law firm in the oil pipeline FERC regulatory area. Very seasoned lawyers who are pragmatic, with a lot of depth. The partners I have dealt with are top shelf." Clients of our pipeline practice include major oil companies and independent pipelines (including owners of the Trans Alaska Pipeline System and many integrated and independent lower 48 systems), as well as foreign governments.
Petroleum Marketing. Steptoe represents the individuals and companies that sell approximately 80% of the motor fuels at retail in the United States. In the course of this representation, we are regularly involved with energy legislation in Congress.
- Chambers Global, Energy: Electricity, Regulatory and Litigation (US), 2009-2015
- Chambers Global,, Energy: Oil & Gas, Regulatory and Litigation (US), 2009-2015
- Chambers USA, Energy: Electricity, Regulatory and Litigation (Nationwide, 2008-2015
- Chambers USA, Energy: Oil & Gas, Regulatory and Litigation (Nationwide), 2008-2015
- Legal 500 US, Energy: Litigation, 2012-2015
- Legal 500 US, Energy: Regulatory, 2012-2015
- Steptoe partner Tim Columbus ranked in National Journal's Top 25 Lobbyists for motor fuels and energy in 2007
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 55 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Shortlisted for Three Chambers USA Awards for Excellence
- Law360 Quotes Charley Mills on FERC Manipulation Suits
- Steptoe Bolsters FERC, CFTC Enforcement Practice with Charley Mills
- "FERC versus State Jurisdiction: Drawing Lines Is Serious Fun," Southern California Edison Company
- “Damages Awards in Energy Disputes,” 3rd Annual ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy Arbitration
- Association of Oil Pipe Lines’ 2015 Annual Business Conference
- Conference on Petition for Rulemaking – Form No. 6, Page 700, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission