Areas of Practice
- Crisis Management
- Government & Internal Investigations
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Antitrust & Competition
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, Senior Notes Editor, American Criminal Law Review, 2000
- Harvard University, Ed.M, 1997
- Yale University, B.A., 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8154
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Patrick F. Linehan is a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office, where he is a member of the firm’s Securities Enforcement & Litigation and White-Collar Criminal Defense Groups. His diverse practice focuses on representing corporate and individual clients in both civil litigation and criminal investigations and prosecutions. He has litigated civil cases in both federal and state courts and before arbitration panels spanning a broad range of areas, including securities, breaches of fiduciary duty, employment, government contracts, False Claims Act, copyright, and general commercial matters. He has also defended clients in all phases of government investigations and prosecutions against allegations of securities fraud and regulatory violations, False Claims Act violations, FDA and healthcare fraud, antitrust fraud, and tax fraud, and others.
- Counsel to former executive of internet services company in SEC enforcement action alleging violations under Section 10(b) of the Exchange Act and Sections 13 and 17 of the Securities Act (S.D.N.Y.). Against allegations of over $1 billion in investor harm, he obtained summary judgment as to all fraud-based claims and secured a settlement of $13,000 on the eve of trial.
- Counsel to former CEO of pharmaceutical company in federal securities class action alleging securities violations arising from alleged misrepresentations regarding Company’s compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (E.D. Mo.)
- Counsel to telecommunications company in one of the first post-PSLRA securities class actions to go to trial (D.N.J.)
- Counsel to three interdealer brokers in employment dispute before FINRA arbitration panel arising from 90-broker raid of an interdealer brokerage by competitor. After full hearing before the FINRA panel, he obtained the full injunctive and declaratory relief sought.
- Counsel to former CEO of pharmaceutical company in litigation against former employer to enforce contractual rights under indemnification agreement and employment agreement (Del. Ch., Mo. Sup. Ct.)
- Counsel to former environmental technology start-up company and its CEO, in lawsuit brought by individual investor alleging violations of federal and Virginia securities law (E.D. Va.)
- Counsel to former Fannie Mae executive, in individual investor lawsuit alleging violation of Texas securities law (S.D.N.Y.). He obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Counsel to former executive of British oil company, in numerous individual investor lawsuits alleging violations of federal and various states’ securities laws (S.D. Tex.). He obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Counsel to government contractor in arbitration against the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) before FAA’s Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition (ODRA)
- Counsel to private security contractor in GAO bid protests in connection with task order awards under the LOGCAP IV contract
- Counsel to financial services company, in lawsuit alleging violations of the Copyright Act. The case settled promptly and favorably.
- Advised major Wall Street investment bank on litigation issues relating to the Puerto Rican debt crisis
- Counsel to nursing home operator in qui tam lawsuit alleging violations of the False Claims Act based on the submission of allegedly false Medicare and Medicaid claims (S.D. Ala.). He obtained complete dismissal of all claims in the district court, and affirmance of that dismissal by the Eleventh Circuit.
- Counsel to managed healthcare plan in qui tam lawsuit alleging violations of the False Claims Act based on the submission of allegedly false Medicaid claims (S.D. Ohio)
- Counsel to former CEO of pharmaceutical company in connection with investigation of possible violations of FDA laws governing current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Counsel to former associate general counsel of pharmaceutical company against false statement and obstruction of justice charges. He was part of the trial team that obtained a complete acquittal.
- Counsel to former marketing executive of pharmaceutical company in connection with investigation involving allegations of off-label promotion and False Claims Act violations
- Counsel to former CEO of medical device company in defense against indictment alleging FDCA violations, wire fraud, securities fraud, and conspiracy
- Counsel to dietary supplement company in defense against indictment alleging FDCA violations, wire fraud, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and money laundering
- Counsel to former executive of pharmaceutical company in connection with investigation of possible violations of Anti-Kickback Statute and the False Claims Act
- Counsel to Bay Area-based biologics company in connection with investigation involving allegations of off-label promotion and False Claims Act violations
- Counsel to CEO of the American subsidiary of a Japanese company in connection with DOJ Antitrust Division’s marine hose investigation
- Counsel to Japanese airline carrier in connection with DOJ Antitrust Division’s investigation of airfreight rates
- Counsel to multiple sales executives in connection with DOJ Antitrust Division’s investigation into the auto parts industry
- Counsel to tax advisory firm in connection with investigation of allegations of tax-related offenses
- Counsel to registered investment adviser, in connection with investigation involving allegations of insider trading in Chinese “reverse merger” companies
- Counsel to US government witness in criminal trial of former Senator John Edwards
- Represented interdealer broker in FINRA investigation regarding broking activity on behalf of traders in Latin American sovereign debt
- Represented interdealer broker in FINRA investigation involving potential violations of MSRB Rule G-43
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2016
Select News & Events
- “Strategic Use of Joint Defense Agreements in Litigation: Avoiding Disqualification and Privilege Waivers,” Strafford Webinar, February 15, 2017
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Federal Court Win for Ex-Acclarent CEO Bill Facteau
- Steptoe Secures Federal Court Victory for Ex-Acclarent CEO William Facteau
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Latest Trends in US and EU Antitrust Enforcement, April 28, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- “Emerging Issues in Health Care Enforcement: New Tactics, New Theories,” A Live Webcast, September 25, 2015
- “Risky Business: Using Risk Assessments and Internal Controls to Mitigate Liability and Further Good Governance,” ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 17, 2015
- A Live Seminar in Tokyo: Practical Strategies to Defend Cartel Investigations, April 8, 2015, (A Steptoe and Iwata Godo co-sponsored Event)
- “The Supreme Court’s Janus Decision After Three Years: Impact and Progeny,” Securities Docket, September 10, 2014
- Steptoe Announces Promotions
- Law360 Features Steptoe Victory in 'How They Won It'
- Steptoe Secures Acquittal for Former GSK Associate General Counsel
- Indemnification and Insurance for Directors and Officers, Corporate Practice Portfolio Series, Portfolio No. 54–3rd, Bloomberg BNANovember 2016
- Indemnification and Insurance for Directors and Officers, Corporate Practice Portfolio Series, Portfolio No. 54–3rd, Bloomberg BNANovember 2014