White-Collar Criminal Defense
When the future of a company hangs in the balance, many of the nation's highest profile senior executives and corporations choose Steptoe to represent them.
We have long provided representation to clients in areas of corporate compliance, white-collar criminal matters, and related administrative enforcement and civil litigation matters. Our representation includes corporate counseling, internal investigations, and criminal, civil, and enforcement matters ranging from administrative subpoenas through SEC and grand jury investigations, trials, post-trial matters and appeals. Our white-collar, securities, and corporate compliance practices are nationwide.
Our white-collar litigation team includes Reid Weingarten, widely recognized as one of the nation's top criminal defense lawyers, as well as six former federal prosecutors with extensive trial experience and a host of attorneys with substantial experience in other government positions.
Our white-collar criminal defense team represents individuals and corporations in some of the most noteworthy cases in the country involving allegations of the following:
- accounting and securities fraud
- corporate misconduct
- public corruption
- money laundering
- price fixing
- government contracting fraud
- healthcare fraud
- environmental crimes
- export control violations
Our clients include senior executives and corporations in the telecommunications, pharmaceutical, energy, chemical, electronics, electronic commerce, agricultural, and cruise line industries, as well as financial institutions and foreign governments.
Our white-collar criminal defense team has extensive experience representing senior executives allegedly involved in corporate controversies that frequently generate significant public attention. In addition to the defense of senior executives from companies such as Enron, Tyco, WorldCom, Rite Aid, and ADM, we have represented former cabinet-level US government officials, the former president of a leading trade union, and the president of a foreign government.
We have also provided representation in a number of recent federal independent counsel proceedings.
The white-collar defense team brings extensive experience to defending charges brought against businesses in complex criminal proceedings, and related civil and enforcement matters, and before Congressional committees.
Our attorneys assist corporate clients with internal investigations and both public and private litigation in wide-ranging matters including the following:
- SEC investigations
- domestic and international antitrust violations
- foreign corrupt practices
- illegal hiring, obstruction of justice
- RICO and fraud actions
- Ranked in Legal 500 US 2012; Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Named a Law360 White-Collar Group of the Year for 2011 and 2012
Select News & Events
- National Journal Profiles Steptoe Partner Jason Weinstein
- Financial Times Quotes Patrick Rappo on Altered Sentences in Fraud Cases
- Reuters Quotes Jason Weinstein on Alleged $45 Billion Cyber Bank Heist
- Reuters Quotes Matt Gaul on Martin Act, Ex-AIG Chief Case
- "On-the-Record: Acting in High-Profile, Multijurisdictional Cases and the Impact of the Media," IBA’s 16th Annual Transnational Crime Conference
- "In-House Counsel on Trial: Prosecuted for Doing Our Jobs," Defense Research Institute Corporate Counsel Committee
- "The Year of the FCPA Trial: Recent Developments," ABA Young White-Collar Lawyers Committee
- "SEC Update," Law Bulletin Seminars White-Collar Crime and Corporate Governance Conference